Author Topic: "When it's time to change..."  (Read 63 times)

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
"When it's time to change..."
« on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
"...You've got to rearrange."

Yes, I just reference the puberty episode of the Brady Bunch where Peter's voice is changing. I've put off posting about this because I've been super busy and I knew I was going to get razzed for it. After a lot of reflection, (and some math) I am setting up a small brick and mortar shop. Once it is up and running, I will continue to utilize my carts; but I had to do something to  minimize the huge fluctuations in my income. At some point my wife and I are going to want to have a child and I just can't have this level of unpredictability with a kid in the works.

As with most things, the middle path is where it is at for me. I'm not just going to rely on the shop and I'm not going to solely depend on the carts anymore. I'm keeping my overhead low and my footprint small so much reach doesn't exceed my grasp; doing all the renovations and construction myself, much like when I built my first cart. Best of all, I'm only a block away from my old spot and all my regulars are stoked! I can greatly expand my toppings and specialty dogs, return soft pretzels to the menu (which were too much of a hassle with my cart setup), offer way more drinks and miscellaneous snacks. I might even explore soft serve ice cream next year if things are going really well.

That's my weenie update from West Virginia! Feel free to hassle me, but remember this... Two days ago, my wife asked me (as she often does) what to expect from the weather in the next few days. I gave her an answer that I had never given her before: "I don't know." No more constantly cross referencing three sources of weather info and an app solely about the wind forecast! The payoff has begun already, just by letting me resign from my role as a Weather-obsessed Meteorological Hobbyist!   ;) Here's to new adventures and whatever may come!

-Jason
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: "When it's time to change..."
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
Fantastic!  Sounds like the best of both worlds. A hot dog shack and the carts pushing business back toward the shack. I wish you well my friend!
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
I don't call this change for the most part.  What you are doing is going to the next level. Always remember Make a Plan, Plan the work, Work the Plan...Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:31 PM »
You so totally nailed me. I didn't even have to click. "When it's time to change" just exploded in my head like I'm hearing it again.

When it's time to change, then it's time to change
Don't fight the tide, come along for the ride
Don't ya see?
When it's time to change, you've got to rearrange
Who you are into what you're gonna be!

That was a time of incredible hope and optimism in America.

Before I progress, I thank you for this resonance. Let's just stick with this resonance for a bit.

Sha na na na na na na, sha na na na na!

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:38:07 PM »
OK good vibe time over lols.

Let's talk numbers. And since I don't know yours, I'll share a story from my book.

There is this real live "living ghost town" up in the mountains 3 hours North of here and they just love and adore us and we love and adore them. We go up to serve and we know we're gonna sell and we get a cabin. A whole historic cabin! Nobody gets a whole cabin but we do. We got all new licenses and stuff because they are in a different county. But my bro Dean (Big Meaty Dogs) needed some work so we took a chance.

It worked out not bad. We recouped but we ended up turning down some more lucrative work. And the commute lols. The commute. The commute was about 40 miles over roads and then into 17 miles of some gnarly off road action. We were seriously loving it. It was tearing the crap out of our equipment.

I had to let it go. The numbers just didn't rationalize. And it would take away, it would distract me from what I'm really doing now. Which is being ambitious like yourself Super.

Moral of this story to you Super? Throw us some numbers. Let's do some cost-benefit analysis here. How do you decide where to throw your muscle? Let the numbers tell us.

Everybody else?

For one of us, this ghost town thing is perfect. Brothers, maybe we know somebody with maybe social security or a bit of a pension and this could be it. The perfect life. Watch the sun come up over desert, watch it fall behind the most gorgeous mountains. Among good people. And ghosts.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
Thanks, guys. I appreciate y'all very much!

No offense Oz, but I'm not going into the details of my numbers in a public forum. Trust me though... I've crunched the numbers and I feel good about them.  :)

I gutted the space about 5 weeks ago and singlehandedly proceeded to:
-Patch and paint the walls
-Remove the carpet
-Scrape all the adhesive off the concrete floor
-Lay VCT tile and install coved wall base
-Design new graphics
-Frame in a small wall and hang a door
-Build a beautiful counter (with help from a woodworker friend)
-Jump through all the bureaucratic hoops

It's been kind of nuts and I'm sore all the time, but I'm getting excited to see it coming together. I've already had an article in a local magazine about the shop and there is a lot of "chatter" locally about it in the real world and online. While walking ANYWHERE in town, someone will ask me when I'm opening and tell me they're looking forward to it. Some of those folks are regulars, but a lot of them are folks that I don't think I've ever served!

The finish line is finally in sight and I'm starting to transition from the "big jobs" to the details. Even though I'm not making any money right now, this work is incredibly satisfying... Designing systems, putting puzzles together, strategizing, building stuff, problem solving... I can't say I've loved every single minute of it, but overall, It has been great! If you're interested, you can see progress pics on my Facebook page (SuperweenieWV) but I'm not posting any shots that really show how it looks until I open.

Thanks for the replies and thanks for reading. I hope y'all are doing well.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
I will tell you about a guy in Mo, name is O'Doggy's, (Cory Lawerence) he went from a cart to a trailer to a brick and mortar and back to a cart, will he still has the Brick and Mortar and has two carts.  I consider him a friend and I am sure if you have any questions he will be glad to help you.  He has some really cool menu boards and a great setup at O'Doggy's.  He is a member of Vendors United and active on that site.  No matter what you do you must do it the best you can and be proud of what you do.  Please don't forget to come on here and let us know how you are doing and also remember to tell us the good and the bad.  Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:46:56 PM »
   Exciting times man! Something so satisfying in building something yourself. Not just the business part of it but the physical part. When it's finished you can sit in the middle of your place and it will truly be your place. There is a different sense of pride you get when you build something literally from the ground up that you can never get by having it done for you. I envy you man lot's of luck and I hope your doors open soon! 
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.