Author Topic: You guys wondering about bitcoin? I sold a $3500 hot dog! (long story warning)  (Read 119 times)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Bitcoin this magic digital substance that makes people rich.

This was years ago somebody said "hey come serve hot dogs and learn about this new digital currency thing" and "it's a pot-luck so it would be great if you set up a cart and gave away food".

At that time I was like yeah sure. Marketing event. People with money. Why not?

So I get there and set up in somebody's back yard and people are like "WOW A HOT DOG VENDOR THAT TAKES BITCOIN" and all the sudden these guys start "paying me" in like.....pretend money. "I'll pay you 0.0025 of a bitcoin!" and all i have to do is install this app on my phone or take this barcode or set up an online wallet at www.go-eff-yourself and all this garbage and I'm just like hey, have a hot dog. We're available for parties and mitzvas and weddings and bla bla bla.

Fast forward to roughly now. I'm going through old files on the computer and I come across this one thing From "BitcoinJerry". It's a text file.

I open the file and I see this string of alphanumeric garbage but I'm like hey...hey this looks like one of those "crypto codes" these guys were talking about and I find a guy that knows where to plug this number in and.....

ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

wait how much?

ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS (Dr. Evil all the way)

No actually it was worth $3500.

Huh?

Yeah just that one day I probably had like a dozen of these numbers being thrown at me and i only saved one of them so in technical terms, I sold a $3500 hot dog. Except I didn't. I was giving them away. I had no idea I just sold the most expensive hot dog on record. It was only retroactively that it became the most expensive hot dog on record.

Man. If I had kept all of those stupid numbers? Wow. I'd have the widest margins in our industry in all time. Think about that and weep all ye competitors!

But I am told if you lose the number, that value is GONE FOREVER. You can't get it back. So I am a massive total winner in one sense and a massive total loser in another. I got way, way more than I expected but I could have got way way way way more if I had known.

So let's get down to brass tacks here. Know what I'm glad for besides the glamor of being the guy that sold the most expensive hot dog in our known universe?

I'm glad it didn't change my life or who I am. I'm still grateful to be a slinger. And I know that as we come into spring sales season, the only metric for success or failure I have is our food and service quality.

BY OUR HOT DOGS WE SHALL BE JUDGED.

EOM.

P.S. if any of you have questions about this crazy technology, I do have a math/science/tech background and I have looked into the tech. It is integral and sound. It's just the application of same that has gone totally sideways. It's not what people think it is. But it's not going away. It's here to stay and it's gonna make change happen.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
That is awesome!!!

Maybe 5 years ago (before I resigned from my fancy pants career) I was eating lunch at my desk and reading about bitcoin. I came so close... SO CLOSE... to putting a couple hundred bucks into bitcoins. In the end, I decided against "throwing my money away" on a gamble.

Sometimes you just get it wrong. You might as well laugh.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
    Good job hanging on to it this long. I would gotten rid of it a long time ago and kicked myself later. Nice score.
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Well, I was offered Square Stock before it went public and did not buy it (my error), now people are coming out with this thing called Bit Coins which has been around for a few year and it looks like I am not getting on the boat for this one.  I have made a few mistakes over the years with what I call "fad stuff" but for the most part do real well.  I guess I will stick with my gold and old stocks.  I also feel that if I told somebody down here in the deep south that I take "Bit Coins" they would look at me and say " Does that mean you have a sale on so I can get my hot dog cheaper"?  Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
It really is strange. Everybody has this same basic regret. Even people I know that are very successful with this thing? They regret not buying MORE. And as said above, I know guys kicking themselves for selling out when it got to $100. They got replaced by the guys that regret selling at $500. Who got replaced by....

It's like a game where you can totally lose but never really win. It's not really logic. In that sense the only true win is never to have got into it in the first place.

The morals to this story are many but nothing like morals to ruin a good story.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
The morals.

I once met a man that said "don't let your morals impinge on my ethics".

I hate it when people say stuff like that cause it sets off this logic bomb in my head. Took me weeks to parses this out in my head. We have competitive logic systems going where I saw a whole. Morals to my mind translated into ethics in the same way that thought translates into action. But this guy set them up as opposites.

Finally I think I got it. At least in his perspective, morals are EXTERNALLY IMPOSED. Morals to him are something somebody else tells you is right. Ethics to him are INTERNAL. He will do what he thinks is right no matter if anybody else says it's immoral.

OK I get that. Especially with you guys and Duggs. I get that with us. Morality dictates that we serve a high quality product for a decent price and we offer good customer service because that's upholding community standards.

Our ETHICS?

Our CORE ETHICS?

These go much deeper. Our core ethics are informed by hardship, tragedy, mistakes, desperation, careful to remember that ALMOST NOBODY IN THIS WORLD GROWS UP WANTING TO BE THE HOT DOG GUY, I WANTED TO BE A FREAKING SUPERMODEL OR CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK OF THE STARSHIP FREAKING ENTERPRISE.

What we found was redemption in a simple but honest living. Some of us have worked harder than necessary to have this.

It's hard work but we have worked harder. And the money is OK but most of us have made more for doing less. And we'll never get famous unless we got a million smiles for every mile it took us to get here. But we know that we earned every one of those smiles.

Bitcoin, anything in this world that brings you something for nothing brothers? We know this is so much time that's wasted. We know one thing for sure. It's not ours if we don't earn it. And it it don't take work it's not worth it. And not one thing in this world that's worth having comes easy.

Nothing comes easy for a slinger. Thank God we have each other. In a way we know we're all we ever had. Besides gravity.

Life in gravity is the process of managing to fall forward.

Success is the science of failure.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
I went to Sams yesterday and spent $565.70 and they wanted me to pay in real cash, well I fooled them, I gave them my credit card (Note:  This card was just replaced because some A** stole my number and I had to replace the card).  I wanted to give them some bit coins but guess it has not caught on in the south.  Side note, if you come to my cart please bring cash, checks (only if I know you), or credit card because I don't take bit coins, oh and I charge an extra 3% for credit card processing.  Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Today I am told that my great wealth in bitcoin is like only worth like $1500 now.

What a bummer. LOLs. And I could have bought a used motorcycle at the high.

I am too old to ride motorcycles. I am grateful to God every day that I can still sling.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
Oz, You are never too old to ride motorcycles....