Author Topic: Overwintering a cart in frigid temps  (Read 41 times)

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Overwintering a cart in frigid temps
« on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »
Now that I have two carts, I have to overwinter a unit in an unheated garage for the first time. My concerns all come down to one thing… The water pump. My pump does not require a flooded inlet, so I was able to run it for a good while and pump almost all of the water out of the cart without disconnecting things. I got all of the water out of my instant hot water heater, as well as most of the tubing and both of my faucets. That's all good!

However the outlet for the pump goes into a line that immediately heads straight up. Because of this, there is a small amount of water in the outlet, and I am assuming also inside the pump housing.  Should I be concerned about this? It would be nice to leave that line connected because it in a bit of an awkward place; however, I'm not about to let my pump get wrecked because I don't want to disconnect a drain line.

Anybody got an opinion on this one?
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Overwintering a cart in frigid temps
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:22 PM »
Food Grade Antifreeze, put it in your fresh water tank and pump it into your lines till you see it come out of your system, problem solved.  There are a lot of videos out their about food grade antifreeze.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
Thanks, buddy!
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
Two words:

propylene glycol.

Do NOT use automotive antifreeze in any food service environment.

Purge propylene glycol with water when the cart is in use. 2 or 3 rinsings is enough for your hand wash lines.

And guys, I do feel for your freezing butts just now. Keep moving. Stomp your feet. Good time to invest in a pair of bunny boots.