Author Topic: Tilting a commercial refrigerator while moving  (Read 75 times)

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Tilting a commercial refrigerator while moving
« on: December 22, 2017, 09:49:51 AM »
 So, I have read as much as I can find online, but I want to put it out to you fellows to see what you have to say…

The commercial refrigerator that I had planned on purchasing is taller than the 80 inch door into my commissary; to get it inside I will have to tilt it back about 45 or 50°. Some people say this will be the death of the fridge,  others say it will be fine as long as I let it sit for a day or two before plugging it in.

What do y'all think? Anybody ever had to do this?
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Tilting a commercial refrigerator while moving
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
   You can tilt a fridge as long as you wait to plug it in afterwards. I have forgotten the math but it boils down to an hour standing unplugged x the length of time on it's side. Tipping the fridge that far I would say if you wait at least 24 hours you should be good to go. That gives the coolant a chance to settle back in place so you don't burn out the compressor.  I have done this with home refrigerators with no problems afterwards.  If you are really worried call a refrigeration repair shop and ask what they think.
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
Hey super I found this on the GE website after posting the above. I think the last sentence applies to your situation.

When loading the refrigerator in a moving van, truck, etc., it is best to keep it standing upright. If laying the refrigerator on its side cannot be avoided, it is important to follow the above instructions on securing the components inside the refrigerator to prevent possible damage.

When using a dolly or hand truck, always truck from the side. Possible damage could occur if trucked from the front or rear. Should it be necessary to lay the unit down, lay it on its side
•Lay it on the side opposite the hinges (on top and bottom freezer models) so the door will remain closed.
•Side by side models should be placed on the freezer side. That door is less likely to come open.
•Exceptions are Monogram, bottom-mount and compact models - these must always remain upright. Because of the design of the drain, compact models should be kept upright at all times to prevent drain water from running back into the appliance unless new out of the box. If it does have to travel on its side, turn it off a day in advance, and allow to drain.

Important: If it has been necessary to transport the refrigerator on its side, it should be stood upright for an equal amount of time as it was on its side before plugging it in. If on its side for more than a day, leave standing for 24 hours before running. (If laying on its side just briefly to service, clean or adjust, just a few minutes of stand time will be enough.)

Jukkarinut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 03:35:17 AM »
Thank you for the way it moves. It is very helpful to me. It helped me move more.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 09:32:27 AM »
Thanks for your input, BP!

I've read tons of stuff and talked to some folks who have repaired refrigerators. After getting conflicting answers from "people in the know" for about a week, I have come up with a great solution...

I'm going to spend $300 more and get a unit that will fit through the damn door! It's a little smaller than the one I was going to get, but it's a very well reviewed fridge. I'm at the outset of a big expansion of my business (more on that later) and I'm just not gonna risk damaging a brand new unit. Here's what I decided to go with:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/turbo-air-m3r19-1-m3-series-25-solid-door-reach-in-refrigerator/902M3R191.html

Instead of this one:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-a-23r-hc-29-solid-door-reach-in-refrigerator/178A23RHC.html

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and happy new year, y'all!
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 08:51:39 AM »
Good luck with your expansion Super. That Turbo looks like a nice fridge. I like the top mount compressor over the bottom. Keeps the heat above the box. I have a box truck I use for towing and dry food storage, will be converting half into prep area. Adding sinks and refrigeration and prep table. Let us know what you think of that fridge.  Hope your New Year is profitable!

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Thanks, buddy!

All my best to you and yours. I hope 2018 is a great year for you!