Author Topic: Delivery has been a failure.  (Read 92 times)

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Delivery has been a failure.
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »
And I'm trying to figure out the reasons why. It seems as if people know about me, but maybe not enough. Maybe some are curious as to how to order from us.

I've had one delivery order so far for a total of $17(6 hot dogs priced at $15, with a $2 delivery fee). We received a $3 tip and made a profit of about $15 on that order. Maybe $14 once you consider gas and everything. They called back two hours later and talked about how good it was. That's one thing I'm encountering. EVERYBODY loves my hot dogs! I get raving reviews about how good they are all the time.

Possible Reasons it Failed
  • Maybe it did so bad because I attempted to start delivery while everyone still has leftovers for Thanksgiving.
  • Maybe not enough people knew how to order
  • Maybe not enough people knew about us
  • Maybe not enough people were aware of our hours of operation(Friday & Saturday from 4-8 PM)
  • Maybe nobody wants to pay $17 for 6 hot dogs delivered to their doorstep? That's a meal for three people..I feel like the price point is okay.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Delivery has been a failure.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
Dude…
First off, you can order a pizza most places for about 10 bucks and feed three or four people. Pizza and Chinese food have delivery wrapped up almost everywhere. You can try to reinvent that wheel if you want to; but you'll be going up against national chains and established local shops almost anywhere in this country. That's stiff competition.

Almost every customer relationship I have started off like this… They were hungry. They saw me. I had a good price and a good product. They bought it. They came back. That's how this works.

Location+price+good product+good service=Building a successful business.. 

Notice that I said "BUILDING a successful business". Like I stated in my earlier replies to your posts, slow and steady wins the race. You have to accept  the fact that you aren't going to completely crush it right out of the gate. You're going to have to put in a lot of extra hours and a lot of work and make a lot of mistakes. I'm 7 years into this and I'm still learning all the time. In fact, the first version of my business was set up solely to make mistakes and learn; I always knew I would shut it down and then launch my real endeavor when I had my feet under me. That took 5 years; now I'm THE hotdog guy in my town. Along the way, I lost money, got injured multiple times, worked myself sick at least twice, washed my hands so many times my fingers cracked open, etc... It didn't just happen by showing up with weenies and a cart.

I wish I could tell you that you picked an easy line of work, but I'm not going to bullshit you. You didn't. Tons of people buy carts, try for a short period and quit because they thought they were going to be an immediate success. Some people get lucky with that, but most don't. Most of us just kept at it until we found a formula that works.

You can do this. You can succeed. The first step is to let go of unrealistic ideas of how fast this is going to take off. If you can do that, you'll take some of the pressure off yourself. I know you and your girlfriend jumped in with both feet; so, right now, that might mean working insane long hours, seven days a week. It might mean multiple locations each day. I don't live in your area, so I don't know exactly what it will take; but I know you can do it as long as you give yourself the chance to be a noob without feeling like you should be something else.

If you like a challenge and you find satisfaction in hard work, you can do this. Slow and steady wins every time.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
I forgot to say something important that contextualizes my whole reply...

Based on your reports of hours worked and gross receipts, you're doing pretty well for being completely new to this. You might not feel like it's good enough, but it's a great start. It's gonna take a while to hit your goals for income and "more days off", but you can get there in time.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Aw crap here I go again. Contradicting another pro. If you guys only knew how much harder I've worked for less money. Cracked fingers included. And worse. And really gross stuff too. LOL, green EMTs started at $0/hr where I trained. Sorry Superweenie.

As I review your list of possible fail points, all of them add up to one word: MARKETING. Which includes your first and best observation. We should have told you not to try this between Thanksgiving and Christmas. OOPS! Our bad.

(Note: whatever you use for a calendar or spreadsheet to keep track of jobs, always enter the holidays in. We kinda go into half-throttle between Thanksgiving and New Year's. You can count Easter out. Mother's day? Probably not.)

And I'm not sure I agree with Superweenie on the price point. Your price is a great deal! Nobody wants pizza every day. Nobody wants anything every day. You just have to send your dogs out with better toppings and a thoughtful....everything.

I say stick with it and the marketing breaks down to 3 categories:

1. Product quality, we assume you got that nailed.

2. Package design. Presentation. I want to be interested when I see the package arrive, I want to be pleasantly surprised when I open it up. And in there should be some marketing materials. Discount coupons, brand and contact info prominent.

3. "Web 3.0" stuff which comes down to facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Tell every customer you have that you need their help on facebook and twitter. Which means you have to have facebook and twitter and it does become a time vampire but properly done, I've seen people rise almost overnight.

So my vote is stick with it. Dial it in. Tell us what it's like! I bet none of us have ever done it!

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Lemme tell you about Sandwich Girl.

Way back when I worked in a huge office building (long long ago far far away)....there was this enterprising girl who just.....must have basically tipped the concierge and doormen to let her pass and then she just rode the elevator. And she'd just show up at your office and say "sandwiches".

And she had pretty good sandwiches. One of my faves was Cheddar Apple and you got a little dipper of dijon. Another one was the veggie chicken salad. Almond butter with swiss cheese and spouts was another. And the best sandwich of all....you guessed it. Sandwich Girl herself. Whom nobody even touched thank you very much. Heck even then me and everybody in that office was old enough to be her father. But let's say she had the presentation aspect handled.

Now I'm not suggesting that you become a sandwich girl and go with the whole "trans" thing. What I am saying is in a dense urban environment, what you need to do is GET YOUR PRODUCT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. And if it looks good and if it is good? More of them will want it.

Now I'm gonna take 15 minutes to strum a guitar and sing the words "sandwich girl". I have many pleasant memories about that time and place.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 05:06:58 AM »
I must have missed something.  What I understand a delivery type setup or business model is called drop off Catering ie.. Doctor Office has say 10 employees and you take 10 meals to them in warmers, so we say, 10 meals x $10 per meal = $100.00 plus tax and delivery charge, doing 3 Doctor Offices you would have $300 plus in Sales, now the cost, let say a standard of 3xfoodcost, so you have now $100 profit plus a little for rounding up.  You have about two hours in this type concept.  There are some other cost that I did not address, ie Warmers, tables, setup time, pickup and delivery time.

Now this is the concept:  You get the customer, You cook the food off site (at your commissary), you pack the dogs in a food safe warmer and transport to the site, you setup a table, setup a serving line with your meals and the customer comes in and fixes their food, this is a catering for the most part except they are serving their self.  One hour later you come back and pick up your table and warming equipment.  It should be noted that you can get steamer that work on electric that you can setup (cost start at about $100 and up).

What you are doing is setting up a serving line and leaving, then coming back to pickup your items.   Most doctor offices and other professionals have offices in one area so the key to this is to get more than one office to make deliveries too.

Good!! Good!!

I don't feel you can make a profit doing one or two meal type deliveries due to hidden cost, fuel, time, etc....
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
Population density is the crucial factor. I'm seeing the cart set up on the street and another guy on a bicycle doing delivery in a half mile radius. Check that. I'm actually seeing a gal on a bicycle.

Girl Power!

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 05:37:41 AM »
Lemme tell you about Sandwich Girl.

Way back when I worked in a huge office building (long long ago far far away)....there was this enterprising girl who just.....must have basically tipped the concierge and doormen to let her pass and then she just rode the elevator. And she'd just show up at your office and say "sandwiches".

And she had pretty good sandwiches. One of my faves was Cheddar Apple and you got a little dipper of dijon. Another one was the veggie chicken salad. Almond butter with swiss cheese and spouts was another. And the best sandwich of all....you guessed it. Sandwich Girl herself. Whom nobody even touched thank you very much. Heck even then me and everybody in that office was old enough to be her father. But let's say she had the presentation aspect handled.

Now I'm not suggesting that you become a sandwich girl and go with the whole "trans" thing. What I am saying is in a dense urban environment, what you need to do is GET YOUR PRODUCT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE. And if it looks good and if it is good? More of them will want it.

Now I'm gonna take 15 minutes to strum a guitar and sing the words "sandwich girl". I have many pleasant memories about that time and place.

I think I'm about to turn my girlfriend into Sandwich Girl. We work 11-3 at a location which is by about 10 huge places of employment. like 400+ employees for each business.

How much was Sandwich Girl charging for her sandwiches? Did she keep sodas & chips? Did she charge extra for dipping sauces?

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
I think she charged $8 per sandwich with the expectation that we'd just throw her a $10 spot. Sounds expensive but I swear, just BREATHING costs money in NYC. And that was right around Y2k so the going rate for a nice sandwich is probably like $15 now.

As to dipping sauce we'd have paid a million. But there was a "look but don't touch" policy in effect. And even at the time I was old enough to be her dad so we're not gonna discuss the matter of dipping sauce in conjunction with Sandwich Girl ever again. Ever. End of discussion.

;)

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
  Ten places 400 employees = 4000 potential sales. Find out which buildings have a cafeteria first because they may not let you in as "sandwich girl" to walk around trying to make a sale. I would talk to HR with those companies and sell them an Employee Appreciation Day!  You set up in their lot feed their employees and the bill is on the company. Market heavy at this event. Hand out your menu with your regular hours, location, twitter, facebook and instagram accounts listed they'll start coming to you.
If they like the event suggest to HR to let you operate from their lot once a week or month as a lunch alternative for their employees. Then promote the hell out of it so your regulars know where to find you on what days. I did that last season for a medical building and they had me back once a month. I began seeing these same people at my regular spot on the other side of the city.
    Just a thought. AZ pretty spot on with NYC prices anywhere from 15 to 20 nowadays. 
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.