Poll

Would you, if placed in my position, also pursue delivery as well?

Yes
1 (100%)
No, I prefer to leave money sitting on the table.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Do you think delivery would be a wise idea?  (Read 107 times)

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Do you think delivery would be a wise idea?
« on: November 04, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
sidenote: After 20 days, I've done $2000 in sales & tips.

I've been cleared to deliver Hot Dogs in my hometown.

I live in the very center of a county(which has no delivery service whatsoever) with a population of 23,000.

I'm going to start off just doing Fridays & Saturdays from 4-8 to see how well I can do. The way I look at it, if I can do $50 per night in deliveries, then I will be sitting at an extra $400 in sales month. I feel like it will be near impossible to not break $50 once the whole county knows I'm providing the service. I've bought a couple of signs to put at the center of town where everyone will be able to see. I'm going to also use social media to help spread the word about my delivery.

My question to you is, if you were in my position, would you also pursue the possibility of delivery?

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think delivery would be a wise idea?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »
  I have thought about delivery but being a one man operation I don't see the feasibility of it. There is a guy in my city that sells rice and beans that just started doing delivery. He doesn't do it every day but he posts on social media the days he's delivering and orders must me in by 11:30am. He has three employees and a van. His radius is a little large as he covers the entire city (44 square miles)I don't see much of a profit going that far out with gas at 2.65.
  I think delivery is possible if you keep in mind gas, oil, tires ins. then are you delivering or hiring an employee. How are you keeping them hot while you make your runs. I don't know how big your town is but I think if you keep a short delivery radius and have someone that can run you food for you it should work well.
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:47:00 PM »
I work by myself, so delivery isn't an option at all.

Long ago, I delivered pizza; it sucked in a whole host of ways. I wouldn't deliver my hotdogs even if it was an option for me. I hope you REALLY crunch the numbers and if it makes sense, I hope you do great with it.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 02:54:25 PM »
I will be adding 10% to the cost of any purchase to cover any sort of wear & tear on vehicles. I've got my girlfriend working with me each and every day. She will be performing the deliveries while I put them together. We will begin deliveries on Fridays & Saturdays only so that we can get a good idea of what to expect.

I will be using heat holders kinda like a pizza delivery bag to keep them warm. I'm in the center of town, so I figure I will begin with a county-wide delivery radius.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »
I might be a bit slow but I think I heard you tell us that you are slamming. And as a trained statistician (poli-sci major) you just rigged a poll.

I didn't even know we could do polls on this board but you rigged it you dummy! Polls are supposed to be non-biased. Basically you offered us two options: 1. are you smarter than a lamp post or 2. go FOND.

And what did you mean "cleared for delivery"? Is there yet another odious license you have to have to do this? Like maybe a pilot license? "Cessna Chief 65 cleared for delivery on runway 2 wind south by southeast 8 knots visibility 3 miles operating in the clear and we got hot dogs"

Hey man I will say that I can see delivery working. Totally. And I see it as a stepping stone into mainstream catering. And I think it's a great idea. And you would be one of the first to do it.

Totally go for it bro.

Big high five bro.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »
Yeah. I didn't reply to your poll either, simply because of your wording.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »
I still meant to be encouraging. I think delivery could totally work in an urban environment. I think it's an awesome idea and OP knows he won't forgive himself if he doesn't try it.

So totally go for it. Green light. Make it happen, come back here and brag.

Hey man, we're all in this together and humility is stamped on our foreheads. When one of us hits it, when one of us brags about success that gives the rest of us hope and inspiration.

You pay us back by paying it forward.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:07 AM »
Drop off catering is where the money is, well that is what I think.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 04:08:02 PM »
I might be a bit slow but I think I heard you tell us that you are slamming. And as a trained statistician (poli-sci major) you just rigged a poll.

I didn't even know we could do polls on this board but you rigged it you dummy! Polls are supposed to be non-biased. Basically you offered us two options: 1. are you smarter than a lamp post or 2. go FOND.

And what did you mean "cleared for delivery"? Is there yet another odious license you have to have to do this? Like maybe a pilot license? "Cessna Chief 65 cleared for delivery on runway 2 wind south by southeast 8 knots visibility 3 miles operating in the clear and we got hot dogs"

Hey man I will say that I can see delivery working. Totally. And I see it as a stepping stone into mainstream catering. And I think it's a great idea. And you would be one of the first to do it.

Totally go for it bro.

Big high five bro.

I didn't know if there would be a license required, but I just called the Health Department up and made sure I had all of my bases covered. I definitely see this as a stepping stone to mainstream catering as well. I used to drive for Jimmy Johns and Pizza Hut both, and I know what it entails. I've had years of experience doing it. Jimmy Johns actually was doing a LOT of $200 or $300 dollar deliveries when I worked for them, and it was simply because they offered deliveries. I am anxious to get my first caller asking, "Can you deliver 60 hot dogs to the practice baseball field immediately?"

I've purchased a couple signs and used the sign for a paid ad on Facebook. I've had over 2500 view my paid local advertisement on Facebook. I created a giveaway on the post, where if you like the post, like the business page, and share the post then you are entered into a $10 free delivery giveaway.

In my town, word travels very fast. I actually went to go pick up some marijuana last night and my dealer told me that HIS dealers were raving about me and the prospect of delivery within my county. It's really cool to see where people are hearing of me, talking about me and spreading the word.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 10:24:27 PM »
My friend OMG you have me laughing.

Owing to the fact that we serve so many school and youth oriented events I should walk away from this one as fast as I can drag the cart (kids, don't do drugs, we mean it) but the idea of a marijuana dealer recommending your services?

Dude. You could get rich! Everybody knows that "stoners get the munchies".

I'd try to lock this in with the dealer by kicking him back a %. Maybe explain to him that the ultimate way to preserve a drug empire is to diversify into legitimate business.

Heck man, a good drug dealer has enforcers to help you "compete". Which means they kneecap anybody trying to muscle in on your turf.

You might have scored the ULTIMATE HOT DOG BUSINESS MODEL!

(a more serious response will follow but thanks for the laugh)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 10:35:47 PM »
(still laughing about the last one. Now I have to be serious with the entire filmography of Cheech and Chong running in my head.)

DELIVERY!

IS ALL ABOUT MAINTAINING FOOD TEMP.

AND THAT IS NOT EASY TO DO WHEN WE RELY ON PROPANE FIRED STEAM CARTS TO HEAT FOOD.

WHAT IS YOUR STRATEGY FOR INSURING FOOD IS DELIVERED AT PROPER TEMPS INCLUDING MEAT, BREADING AND CONDIMENTS?

This is one place where pizza has us beat because pretty much everything, meat, condiments and bread are BAKED TO 350 before we send them out.

You will answer this one. You will answer this one you hippy. We have ways of making you talk. We know you want the Ben & Jerry's. Tell us what we want to know and you get the Ben & Jerry's.