Author Topic: I was saying I don't worry about food truck competition  (Read 60 times)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
I was saying I don't worry about food truck competition
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:42:17 AM »
Food trucks. Our glamorous elder brothers in this biz. So high priced that our low priced quality always works. Or so I thought. I guess we impressed some well to do people so they get us into new places and....

Rich people don't spend money on hot dogs. They love free hot dogs. They don't pay for them. I did a few school gigs recently for wealthy patrons and other trucks beat me. They had actual MEALS.

I guess that's where this "plated" thing comes in with catering. And I'm thinking I need chafing pans. I gotta up the game.

For you guys just starting out? For any event you want to expand your menu from just hot dogs, chips and drink. We were making popcorn in house until we found a wholesale deal. Ditto cotton candy. Snow cones are just too easy and I have the spreadsheet that shows you how much ice and flavors you need per serving.

I think I sold about $300 in beverages tonight. Got a couple of those "white wale" coolers.

We were joking that these new coolers are a great investment because if the business fails at least we have coffins. Everybody but Dean but we got one of those Igloos on wheels for him.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: I was saying I don't worry about food truck competition
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 03:55:04 AM »
I don't agree with your comments in that I have locations that I set up at that also sale food, omg, they are full service brick and motar, one at one end of the block and one at the other end of the block and me in the middle.  I also do festivals with everything from full blown food trucks to a church selling dogs for $1.00 after looking at my prices.  I have also done festivals that 3 other hot dog carts showed up along with me and two others also selling hot dogs (I sold out at 2 pm and was borrowing buns from other vendors to operate till 3 when the event was over).  One of my street spots is across the street from McDonalds with a Zaxby next door and a KFC/Taco Bell and a Burger King within a couple blocks.  One is in the parking lot of my Bakery which also sells some of the best sliders (ham and cheese, Roast Beef and Turkey and Cheese) that you have ever ate; I know this because I eat them almost every time I set up in town.  My other location is next door to chinese restaurant with a Huddle House next door and the Hospital across the street that sells full meals for little of nothing. 

I have friends that run hot dog carts, food trucks, food trailers, full service restaurants but the ones that make it thrive on competition.  So I say suck it up butter cup, competition is here to stay.  Good!! Good!!

Making a comment that because a food truck is at your location would mean that you would not do good good is about the same thing as a brick and motar saying that because I have a hot dog cart that I am going to take their business.

If you can't make it with competition then you can't make it period.  Our systems in the country are built on just that competition.

Am I getting rich, NO.  Do I make enough to make me happy, yes.

As long as the playing field is level and fair then I say bring your trucks bring your carts.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
OK Dugg, first off, I am used to you disagreeing with everything I say. But the competitive environment you just described is off the charts.

I am tempted to believe that your military experience has you rounding up customers at gunpoint with affixed bayonet. PATRONIZE ME OR DIE CITIZENS!

However it is possible that you are better at this than I am. This is probable in fact.

You really are a master Dugg.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:20:46 AM »
Maybe better looking but not better.  I guess I should have added that I have a lot of repeat customers even at festivals since I have been doing this for so long the remember me.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
   I had several occations this summer to be invited to sling at a city sponsered weekly food truck event. Of course when I inquired about it at the begining of the season I was informed I was personna non grata! You aint no food truck! Fast forward one month and the Mayors aide is calling me last minute to fill in for a cancelation the morning of. I show up set up and look around. I talked with every truck owner asked about their set up, food etc and checked their pricing. All of them came over and checked out my little cart they loved it and imeadiatly started following me on social media. There were three food trucks one churro truck an ice cream trailer and little ol' me. Their prices were three times mine or more I figured I'd crush it, wrong. Those trucks had a following and those people didn't deviate. On the three occations in a two month period I was there I saw the same people go to the same trucks every time. They did not check anyone else out. I did sell and sell considerably more than at my normal location and in less time. Also I out sold the trucks on water soda and iced coffee. Those loyal truck customers came to me for their drinks because I was a third or more cheaper. 1 for soda and water 3 for iced coffee, the trucks were at 3 for a can of coke or water. I saw one guy asking 4.00.
     I did not gain any new customers from this event. They did not stop by my normal location but if I was at that event they came back to me for lunch again. In the end I sold way more in liquid than dogs or red hots my customers at the event increased each week but I did not see any long term investment from it.
So I think it's possible to compete with them to some degree by getting those customers that don't have a truck loyalty or undersell something like soda.
   I got a thank you card from the Mayor and an invite back next spring so I had to make an impression somewhere. Haven't decided if it's worth it again next year though. 
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.