Author Topic: Best location ever and not a single pic  (Read 121 times)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Best location ever and not a single pic
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »
http://www.therailroadpark.com/

The got something like 30 acres of park and there are these steam locomotives towing people around. Funny thing is I realized I had probably never seen a steam engine in operation.

I'm told these were burning coal. If so it's the highest grade coal in the world. You have to stare hard to see smoke from the chimney. And no odor! And this thing is pulling about 10 little cars full of about 135 people. Oh yeah and quiet! That also amazed me. They had to use those whistles to warn you of their approach because they don't make that much sound.

So we served assorted sausages and burgers "plated" today which means you get your meat on a paper plate with cold baked beans and cole slaw. Plus pretzels and cotton candy. Went over pretty OK except a sharp person or two asked about our food temps. We had the slaw on ice but on a buffet table in the sun? We were working against the clock a bit on that one.

Nobody thinks to worry about the beans. But with the slaw we had a number of other factors working for us:

The dressing is pretty alkali. With the vinegar marinade we're doing the pickling trick. Nobody worries about the mustard and catsup for the same reasons. Nasty microorganisms don't like it. Slaw is a good pick for a caterer for this reason alone. You got some holding time.

Now what makes cold baked beans so special? Why do they have holding time?

Dehydration. The "candied" effect of dehydration. Baked beans are cooked down with sugar and with enough sugar and boiling down, the moisture content becomes difficult for microorganisms to metabolize. You know this from jellies and jams which are pretty good for canning and preserving for this reason. Sugar is a carbon crystal that traps water. And you know that nasty things you can only see with a microscope need 3 things to thrive: water, food and warmth. Baked beans make it harder for them to get water.

There. Now I made steam engines in some way relevant to slinging. This post might just have a chance at surviving the Dugg-Dustruction, the banishment into the "general" category which is basically a purgatory full of posts that have no legitimate reason to exist.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Best location ever and not a single pic
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
  Sounds like you had a good time watching the trains. My regular spot is in the parking lot of a Railway Museum located in a train station and freight yard built in 1900. It's also the end of commuter line. Between the old engines moving around the yard and the new passenger trains I feel like a kid most days. Plus having grown up along side that rail yard it kinda brings me home again.
  Now onto those beans. How did the cold beans go over? I don't serve them because I have no place to keep them hot on my cart. Up here in New England the beans better be warm or you'll here someone shouting 'In Coming'. I won't even attempt cole slaw. every food joint serves the stuff and they all throw it out. Over the last thirty some odd years I've notice the serving go from about a cup or more down to an ounce in a plastic cup. Not one place I know makes it themselves anymore. they buy big tubs of tasteless cabbage. The only reason they still put it on the plate is cause people want to see it there. They don't want it but if you don't give it they will say something. I have people ask me daily for it and when I ask if they would eat it if I had it they say no it just belongs there. Hope your having a good season AZ.
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:37:03 PM »
Hey Bluepig where the hell did you come from?

What I like about the Boston baked beans cold is they stay on a plate and when it get hot they taste pretty good with the all-beef on a bun.

It's not an official style but Boston baked beans go good with the dogs.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 05:38:07 PM »
Been busy, thank the lord. Don't tell them it aint a style in Boston or on Cape Cod.  They're a little particular about them beans. They're even on just about every breakfast menu.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:04:09 AM »
Hey BluePig, come to think of it, I used to be East coast and cold baked beans fit very much into our traditions of summer salads and cold foods. I actually like 'em better refrigerated because the fats and sugars get thick, almost solid and you get that good texture.

As to the slaw: it's the one thing I actually take up comm space for. But not much. A few food grade buckets. I can buy chopped cabbage right out of the comm (Ralph's Snack Bar in Phoenix is like this super comm on steroids) and I can even get a wholesale deal right from Ralph. Everybody bases their slaw on white vinegar. Red vinegar adds more flavor but where I'm taking it? Apple cider vinegar. How's that for East coast?

The one thing Ralph charges a lot for is walk-in space. But if it's overnight and I pick up my order fast in the morning it's all good.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 05:43:10 PM »
Nice to hear there is still good homemade slaw out there. I make my own with red wine vinegar but most use the cider vinegar up here. Maybe next summer if I can find space on the cart I'll give it a shot.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 10:49:08 PM »
I have modified this a bit BP. I found out that a bit different is different enough. The all apple cider vinegar I noticed started hitting some people in the nose pretty hard. But I know we're on the right track.

Red wine vinegar alone adds so much depth to the flavor. And I started using 50% apple cider vinegar and white. Works fine! It just takes the thing down subtle-like. Take it down a notch. UN-BAM!

That's for coporate customers and golf courses. The rest of our community in Arizona is heavily Southwestern influenced so I can see taking it the other way. Hey, we think jalapenos can go in or on anything. We love it SPICY here. Pickled jalapenos are what most people like!

I'll play around with this a bit and maybe see if pickled ginger would go good. All we gotta do is ditch the mayo at one point and we're haute cuisine. Asian-fusion.

Know what goes good with pickled cabbage and ginger? Sesame. But to take it fusion we have to ditch the mayo.

But how do we ditch the real mayo without offending American values?

We shall see.....we shall see....

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:16:52 PM »
Sorry for the late response end of season busy. Have you thought about Kimchi for that asian fusion. Man I can't get enough of that stuff. Hey wait I think that goes on my list for next year Kimchi slaw!