Author Topic: What a day  (Read 99 times)

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
What a day
« on: October 22, 2017, 05:59:44 AM »
I have cut down the amount of Festivals that I do every year down to about 4 per year.  All of these are very small festivals.  This year a festival that I did last year almost doubled the cost for the spot.  I came real close to not doing the event.  I ask my wife to help me during the lunch rush this year so that I could get people out fast.  Well I show up and find out that I was the only food vendor expected because no one called the promoter back.  I called my wife and told her this and that I would really need help.  I got everything set up and cooked a little food (for the other vendors to buy before the event started).  My wife shows up at about 10 am.  Then only one other food vendor shows up and set up about 30 feet from me (selling fried Fish and French Fries).  I hate to say but I was glad they did show up.  Well it started about 10:30 and we started to get busy.  We went wide open till 2:30 pm with a line 10 to 15 deep.  We did not stop for a second.  Well then we slowed down to a normal pace and that is when the bad stuff happened.  My wife got over heated and sick (she did not stop to eat or drink for the whole rush).  Well off she went to the ER to get medical treatment (yes she is fine).  So I finished the day at about 3:30 and packed up.  My wife got home about 7 pm and is doing better.  I had a hell of a day.  Good!! Good!!

The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Re: What a day
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »
Nobody but you Dugg. Nobody but you would say good good to that. Glad the wife is OK.

I know what you mean about being glad to have another vendor. Being superswamped is kind of like inviting something to go wrong bigtime. Thence wives in hospitals or other thrills and excitement. I'll elaborate on my thread.

Better find a young apprentice if you wanna keep your old gal around...just sayin.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:49:49 PM »
 This is a very good cautionary tale for me! About a month ago I did a music festival. I got up at 7am on Friday and worked straight through until about 3am when I climbed into the back of my car and slept for about 3 hours. Then I worked until I went to bed at about 3 AM Sunday morning.

My only real break came at about 11 PM on Saturday night when my brain suddenly got very foggy, I had trouble talking  and I started to feel very sick. I closed for about 45 minutes, finally ate some food, drank a lot of water and slammed 32 ounces of Gatorade. Then, I went right back to it even though I knew I should call it good and chill out.

I'm 45 and in very good shape, but I can't do that again. It's stupid and very unhealthy. Hearing of a trip to the ER is the wake up call I needed. I'm glad your wife is ok!
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
45? Did you just say you are 45?

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

You just lost cred. You aren't allowed to have problems until you are 50.

Man I love saying that because people that are 60 and 70 and 80 are saying that to me. But I shall assert this superiority over you! Ha ha!

I am older than you therefore my life sucks more so you should entitle me with showering honor.

Or we could just keep improving every day. Just do me a favor: never let me be better than you.

Always do better than us young ones. All you have to do is learn what we know and make it better. That's kind of how the human species evolved from apes. That and agriculture. Followed by metalurgy.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
*ahem*

You will note that there was no mention of a "problem" in my post, nor any complaints. Just a statement of needing to wise up.  ;)
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
Yeah what can I say? I saw a chink in the armor and I went for it. Old age and treachery will defeat youth and beauty!

I do recall that state of utter over-extension. Last few times I was on the other side of the rope: director of event security. One reason I won't do that job again is I never had enough budget therefore never enough trained staff and the only way to compensate is just work ourselves half to death. By day 3 we're qualified to secure a sleeping bag.

Plus it wasn't all festivals. It was mostly political. Mostly mainstream republican politics but the political sphere has gotten so hostile that the only way to secure it is just tell everybody to stay home.

Thank God hot dogs aren't political. I've had just about all the politics I can stand. By comparison, slinging is a way more effective way of making life tolerable. But I guess we fight our own war. The war to find the happy medium.

The major challenge to most of us in finding the happy medium is the seasonal nature of our business. We kinda gotta make hey while the pastures are green.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
  Double D glad to hear your wife is fine. The one thing we tend to do is forget to eat and drink during these events. Most of the events I worked this summer were 100 degrees and humid as heck. I had to force my wife at the bigger ones to take a break and eat and drink something.
  Just a FYI Gatorade and the like is high in sugar and can aid in dehydration. It's better to cut it 50/50 with water and drink it throughout the day. Unfortunately for me sport drinks flare up my gout so I stick to salt tablets and water.   
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.