Author Topic: Tomorrow is pretty big  (Read 98 times)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Tomorrow is pretty big
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:41:45 AM »
In the past I've taken on big jobs by just renting equipment. Who cares? This is huge! We need this experience!

Tomorrow we get to try it with no rental stuff but I did spend up a bit on some new stuff. Two of those Igloo 240 soda coolers and some other doo dads.

Tomorrow's menu:
900 All beef hot dogs
500 Pretzels
800 Cotton candy
800 Assorted iced sodas & water
800 Popcorn

You guys might know that we do popcorn and cotton candy but for these volumes we order it up wholesale.

Trouble at this moment is we been selling this same inventory to everybody else to first thing in the morning we have to figure out what we have on hand and somebody is doing a mad-dash shopping trip.

Anyways for this one we're putting all our equipment and people into play. 3 carts. The Camp Chef stove, all the tables, all the umbrellas, the monster rolling ice chest that holds 320 sodas, the new mongo coolers  holding another 240 per, every cooler we had before is gonna be in use for ice and product. And we're gonna have somebody driving out for more ice pretty much all day.

I'm a bit short staffed but heh...some of my staff is underconfident. This is a reflection of me in part. Lack of training opportunities is another. There's no way for me to tell everybody exactly what their role, is, catering is very much about being flexible.

I guess there's kind of a paradox there. In street sales we have iron clad policy. We rule. Catering is about "service" which basically means they get the hot dog and we kiss their um sorry got a phone call...

Wrong number. Oh well hey guys, I got bags and bales of popcorn and cotton candy and stacks of pretzels gently defrosting and all this stuff to coordinate and I intend to do a better job than ever about really managing inventory. There's a problem with how we manage inventory.

Anyways, wish us luck. We'll do fine but hey, I'll come back and tell you all about it. And if we totally screw it up I'll tell you about that too.

And somebody might come in and top us all and say this is the best Saturday ever.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Tomorrow is pretty big
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:33:45 AM »
Hope you do Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »
I hope you crush it, people tip well and you get home earlier than you expect!

Personally, that sounds like a nightmare of a day for me. After years and years of having to schedule, coordinate and run video shoots, I really love working alone and I love selling through my capacity before my bladder tells me the shift is over. It's nice to have a little help when I do an event, but that level of "team leading" was the worst aspect of my old career. My hat is off to you in your ability and willingness to take on events like this! Pretty impressive!

I'm going for a walk in the woods and then I might grill some steaks. It's Saturday, it's nice out and I did VERY well this week.

By the way, I use one of those 3 burner camp chef stoves at events too. I love the damn thing! As part of an intense weekend of work, I made good money selling cowboy coffee and breakfast sausages to hung over folks at a music festival recently. I couldn't have made the coffee without it.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »
Hey neat! I had this buddy had a film lighting business, he as like an indie film key grip and he had a truck full of lights. I got to help him out when he needed some hands. It as interesting to kinda see into that whole world and all the protocols and specialties.

I know that I too and basically dead to my former career. I'll just call it "project management" because I don't even care to explain it. Kinda funny though. Society affords us pretty low status as slingers. I can tell you were good at media production just by how glad you seem now. Only the best burn out hard.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
This kind of work isn't for everyone, that's for sure! If I were concerned about other peoples opinions of me, I never would have resigned from the cool sounding titles of "Senior Producer" and "Broadcast Design Director"…  The truth of it is that my old career wasn't cool at all. I was just digging digital ditches for huge faceless corporations that only cared about money. Every idea I had to come up with was subject to being dismissed or ruined by the people who wore suits and signed my paycheck. Most of them resented having to have "creative types" around at all.

Weenie slinging suits me perfectly! It is always funny when a former coworker comes by for some hotdogs… I can usually tell that they feel sorry for me; having traded in my office, my bullsh*t title and job security for a street corner and some weenies. Truthfully, I feel much sorrier for them than they could ever ever know.

Anyway, how did it go? I hope it was a great day!
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:26:00 PM »
So....the fun part. Debriefing.

The location was stunning. It looked pretty much like a 5 star wedding setup.

And here's us slinging carnival food. I did kinda have a sense of being...maybe if not out of place but incomplete.

Kinda at the last second the property managers decided to limit everybody to one hot dog which was a mistake. And they tried to make us take tickets which I refuse to do. We serve food. We are not here to impose corporate policy.

We could have overcome the deficit in perceived value by letting everybody have as much as they want until the food runs out. We had enough food! But the limit kinda destroyed that. By the time I convinced them that we should make an announcement that everybody can have more hot dogs it was kinda too late.

We had a reasonable level of coordination. Service time was 5:30pm so we began at 9:00am at a leisurely pace and just kinda kept that casual vibe going all day. We stuffed two minivans and an Explorer to the gunnels with all the stuff. Drove there in a convoy. We arrived with 1:45 to set up.

We looked like this:
http://azhotdog.com/images/pics/marleypark3.jpg
and this:
http://azhotdog.com/images/pics/marleypark1.jpg
and this:
http://azhotdog.com/images/pics/marleypark8.jpg
one more:
http://azhotdog.com/images/pics/marleypark5.jpg

Nice chino shorts and red shirts eh? Now we have that "I work at Target" or Staples or just about any other servant in the Southwest look down.

The new coolers worked great. Given as I knew they don't have wheels. Ho by gods those things are heavy fully loaded. Luckily we rented some young men. But I'm glad we have them now. The coolers not the young men that is.

So ONE OF OUR CARTS MALFUNCTIONED! We could barely keep it light with a dull guttering flame. It reduced our overall capability by at least 15%. It's gotta be the regulator. However we retasked and compensated and got through the line of eaters well before event end.

See the plan was to have 2 hot dog carts and the pretzel cart at the end but the malfunctioning cart forced us to keep heating hot dogs and just stuff the pretzels in wherever we had pan space. It worked.

If we didn't have 2 young men dedicated to just handling popcorn, cotton candy and replenishing the condiments table it would have fallen apart. We had just the right staffing.

Every single day that any of us goes out with a single cart to do a job, we're one regulator away from TOTALLY BLOWING IT. I feel lucky this one failed where we had 2 other carts.

So that's how that one went. Only other notes on this one is they had us sign a contract that was 12 pages long and they had us jump through more hoops than the IRS. Took about 5 hours combined before we even showed up to serve.

One more note on that before I leave....their insurance requirements were beyond anything we had seen before. Our insurer said "sure, we can write this for $300" so I told them that. And I'm told a whole legal department reviewed it and decided they didn't need the extra insurance for $300.

Tell me how much it costs to have a room full of lawyers decide that saving $300 is worth it. After they come back from the 3 martini lunch and 18 holes on the golf course.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 05:01:22 PM »
That's some impressive set up. Glad you did well. Did you go through all that popcorn?
If I was there you'd have found my under that table eating my weight in it.   ;D
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.