Author Topic: Cash rolls as opposed to cash drawers  (Read 94 times)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
Cash rolls as opposed to cash drawers
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »
OK everybody knows that slingers deal with rolls. We're all expert at making change from the cash roll. It's kind of an art.

This works like magic on the street. You get good and you have the clean hand and the dirty hand. Clean hand only serves food, dirty hand only makes change.

Then you get into festivals and lines 10 people deep and you are handling hundreds and hundreds. And you end up "ditching" the $20 and above notes into your back pocket and keeping separate rolls and before you know it, you lost effective control.

This holds true even if you have another person that only handles the cash. It frees you up to serve but when the crowds come on they still have this issue of bulging cash rolls in multiple pockets plus your "ditch" pocket.

Now bump it up a notch. A cash REGISTER does neat things that cash rolls can't. Like count the number of sales at an event. Wouldn't that be nice? Then we can use numbers to compute stuff like average sale. And registers can be programmed these days! Key in burger, burger, dog dog dog drink chips and then we actually know how much of what product we sold instead of relying on count in, count out.

This takes some burden off inventory control which is the last thing you want to do after a day of blazing hot sales.

Anyways I can think of different pros and cons but there's a reason most of us don't use them.

Why don't most of of use them?

Seems like a cash drawer might help.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Cash rolls as opposed to cash drawers
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:55:37 PM »
For me I like the cash in hand or as you call it roll; if I get really busy I just use the stuff method, stuff it in any available pocket.  Normally I have someone at Festivals or Big events to take the money and serve the drinks.  Never used a cash register, Square has a really good system if you are looking the that area.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 12:31:59 AM »
Yeah square has become part of our checklist right? And as we agree, doing "clean hand dirty hand" is an essential skill for the slinger. But I have some cash sales events where the wads, the rolls, whatever get too big, Susan ends of ditching large notes in my pockets, then we have separate wads going, it's just way not good for security. And it sucks for reporting.

A cash box or drawer doesn't solve all of this but I think it's a step in the right direction. There has to be a cash drawer for live transactions. There has to be the bank or starting till. There has to be a "ditch" for large bills that's secure. There has to be a count-out. It would be nice if count-out helped with inventory management.

Anyways, the cash drawers I thought might work the the field, most of the ones on Amazon have abysmal comments and ratings. Here's one that just sounds like it does what it's supposed to:

https://www.amazon.com/Sparco-Money-Locking-Inches-SPR15505/dp/B000UE9LH4/ref=pd_cp_229_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6YJ5GN2HE9YJ4ECWCD5T

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
When I started this venture this year I thought a cash draw would be good to have. I had acquired a nice lockable 4 bill steel box years ago while selling at flea markets. Never used it never was able to sell it.
   I still don't use it. My cash is in my apron pockets. Bank in the left cash on the right, 38 on my hip. I found many reasons why the cash draw doesn't work for me but the two biggest are where do you put it? I have hardly enough room now finding a spot on my cart is not an option. Second reason is cash drawers walk away. I am solo for most of my work days even events I'm usually alone. Now while I have asked other vendors to keep an I on my cart as I make a made dash for that rare bathroom break or run to the truck to resupply. That cash draw would not be there when I got back.  Just my reasons. 
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:17:53 AM »
OK. Maybe I'm the guy that wants the cash drawer. It seems everybody evolves their own personal system.

I'll just get a stupid cash drawer and see if it works.

I guess you street slingers might think this is nuts but at large cash sales events it's easy to get overwhelmed. Even though on these types of jobs we only have one person dedicated to point of sale transactions. At event sales the fastest line often wins.

Blue Pig

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
   Just curious how'd the draw work out?
Never mistake my kindness for weakness.