Author Topic: First day of sales was today!  (Read 241 times)

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
First day of sales was today!
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
I made about $230 in sales. I ended up with $300 between cash/card payments, although I did have about $70 in change before setting up shop. It was insanity! I was so unprepared the very first day. I had to get past so many situations but luckily the customers were very nice and welcoming. If they had talked about how much of a joke I was, I would've agreed and cried on spot. I was very nervous. I didn't have the lemonade I planned on making, I didn't have the chili ready until 11:30(it was watered down then. I thought putting water on it would help it go ahead and thaw out the frozen bucket full of chili.) I didn't have dogs until 11:30.

I ended up getting an order of about 12 hot dogs at once. That wasn't too pleasant. None of their dogs were very good, I'm sure.

All in all, it went very good.

Fifi

• Pretty in Pink
    • View Profile
Re: First day of sales was today!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
Congrats, things will only continue to go more smoothely for you.
What happens in Boulder Creek, STAYS in Boulder Creek . . .

Mr.Rock'N'Roll

• Top SVF Contributor
  • Rocking and rolling from Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:09:06 PM »
Awesome!
Work hard, show up on time, and out work the competition.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
I am glad that you did Good!! Good!!  I guess that is why we tell people to do a trial run but truth be known I just set my cart up and hoped for the best.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »
After day two and three, my sales were $100, and $150. I switched locations to an Agricultural Supply store on day three. I had a lot of fun today. Joked around with the customers, laughed and joked around with my girlfriend who is helping me with taking orders. Looking to increase the amount of cash I pull in. I've had three customers ask my price and walk away. $5 for two dogs, $3 for 1. I don't see the problem.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
First question is do you have a menu?  I assume that you do.  When people ask you how much a hot dog is say: "I have a menu right there and point to it; then say your best deal is my combo because you get the drink and the chip with it".  I then tell time the condiments that I offer for free.  I also say as you can see I take credit cards too.  Plus tax is included.  Always remember that some people will walk away but for the most part you must sell them a hot dog, people expect to be sold.  If the walk away just wait on the next customer.

Lets say you sell a 2 hot dogs for $5.00 then you take the tax out of the $5 that means at a 8% tax rate they are getting the dogs for 4.60 for two dogs, that is $2.30 each, if they can't pay that they need to go to Walmart and buy some hot dogs and buns and cook their own.

Look at these number and remember you are out there to make money, these are cost projections for a vending business.

ONE DOG    ONE DOG              TWO DOG
2017                                                                  BEEF         COMBO BEEF         COMBO BEEF
MEAT TYPE                                                            $0.30      $0.30                        $0.60
BUN                                                                            $0.21      $0.21                           $0.42
CHIPS                                                                                 $0.24                           $0.24
DRINK                                                                                 $0.29                           $0.29
CONDIMENTS                                                            $0.18      $0.18                           $0.36
TOTAL                                                                    $0.69    $1.22                         $1.91
CURRENT PRICE                                                    $2.25      $4.50                         $6.75
PROFIT PER UNIT                                                    $1.56     $3.28                         $4.84
RECOMMEND  PRICE   3X FOOD                               $2.07       $3.66                        $5.73
PROFIT ABOVE RECOMMENDED                            $0.18     $0.84                         $1.02
7% SALES TAX                                                     $0.16     $0.32                           $0.47
PROFIT ABOVE RECOMMENDED AFTER TAXES    $0.02     $0.53                          $0.55
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
Thanks so much. I've had a few bad days now. I've had four days now.

1st day @ Physicians East = $230 net. I believe all of the employees knew about my arrival beforehand, so they were all ready for me. I was at the back near an employee entrance. You pretty much had to know about me to see me.

2nd day @ Physicians East(two days after the first) = $80 net. Everybody knew I was here.

3rd day @ Agri Supply = $150 net. I was actually very close to the front door and I watched most of their customers look right past me, but I still made a good amount based on the amount of foot traffic.

4th day @ Physicians East = $70 net(I don't think I was mentioned to any of the employees. Nobody knew I was here unless they happened to walk right by, which was very unlikely)

I've not yet made enough money to invest in signs yet which I know is a HUGE deal. The Physicians East place has like 9 employee entrances, and I'm thinking about trying to put sticky notes on each door, or some sort of laminated advertisement.

The Agri Supply location is on a very public highway. Lots and lots of traffic. I will attempt to convert a small percentage of the car traffic into customers.

I feel like at the rate I'm going now, I'm going to fail.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:03:29 AM »
This is where I get mean.  If you think you will fail you will.  This is a business and must be treated like a business.   The normal rule is to give a location about two weeks before you give up on it.  I assume that at the medical building you checked it out in advance to see which entry most people are using, and that you checked out the flow of people.  For the sign thing, I understand not having money but you must have signs, a flutter flag works the best and it cheap, you can go to lowes and buy stuff to make your own signs and save a little, if you run you cart from 11 till 2 pm and spend 1 hour per day on cleanup and prep that leaves you 20 hours to make a plan, plan the work then work the plan.  You don't have to buy everything today and you are not going to get rich doing this but you can do a lot better if you believe you can.

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
It is nice to hear. My start was hard and discouraging.

The first time I went out I had the woman and the kids dragging along and I kinda needed something to work right then.

The silence on the ride home is something I never want to hear again. Funny how nothing can be the worst thing you can ever hear. So I was silently talking to my ancestors and God for wisdom. And telling them how bad I needed this to work for this family.

Long ride home. Now I complain about not having enough help. Turning away business. Not even close to content because I see so much more potential.

So my advice is it never rains until Tuesday and never get the idea that anything is good enough. If you continue to excel, you lift our whole industry.

Anyways, Dugg never steers you wrong, he's the "rational" one around here. I'm more poetic. As far as I experience it now, our days are pure poetry. Paint a canvas and fill it with happy people.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 11:48:39 AM »
First things first... Good job! You launched your business! You got out there and slung some weenies. Lots of folks don't even get that far. You should feel proud!

Most importantly, buck up! This is a tough line of work and it's not always fun or easy. There are days where everything goes insanely well and you make twice what you expected. But there are days where every damn thing goes wrong, customers are crabby and you don't make what you hoped to make. There are also days where you work yourself to exhaustion, making lots of money and wishing you had four arms, so you could serve faster and make more money.

You can do this, but you can only do it with the right attitude. Accept the fact that you are new to this and will be learning for quite some time. Accept that you're going to make mistakes. Accept the fact that you have to try things that won't work out in order to find what will work out. If you can find value in hard work, pride in a job well done (which doesn't always translate into a profit) and you stick with it, you will succeed. Otherwise, you might as well quit now and go back to doing what the boss says like everyone else.

50% of success is tenacity. Every day you go out, you will learn things; some of those things have to be learning what not to do. There is value in the "bad days" if you have the right perspective.

You can do this. :)
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »
I've had four more days now where I've averaged $100 a day. I don't believe this is enough to make ends meet. The locations I have seem to be okay, but not amazing. I will be attempting to gather a few more locations as soon as possible.

SuperDankHotDogs

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
I do want to say thanks for all that you've all said(everyone) Hearing the obstacles others have had to overcome on the road to success makes me more motivated to get through it myself.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 09:52:31 AM »
You can and will get through this. The path to success isn't going to be straight line... It will zigzag back and forth and only in hindsight will you see how much you gained from what feels like a bad day or wasted time. None of it is wasted. Every rough patch will teach you something. Until you're ready to invest in signage, you could try to print out some flyers, maybe with a coupon for first time customers. Also, you can get color 11x17 laminated prints for next to nothing at Fedex-Kinko's. The lamination makes them rigid and you can put velcro on the back or punch holes in them to hang them up. (Do you have a logo yet?)

As far as locations, I'm a big believer in persistence (within the bounds of reason) if a location seems promising. Keep turning up at that first spot and see if it grows or if you get repeats. I've been serving lunch at the same spot since I went from part time slinging to full time a year and a half ago, and I still have people who have walked past me almost every day come by for the first time.

Don't feel like you're failing, because you're not. The only way to fail this early is to quit. Are you going to get better at every aspect of this venture? Yes, of course you will. Right now, you have to accept the difficulty, accept being new to this and keep your eyes on the big picture.

You can do this.
Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw-Mustard-Onion-Chili-Slaw... All day long. :)

AZHotdog.com

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:14 AM »
Locations can be brutal. Locations are the marine boot camp of our trade.

Superlit, spread your branches out. Do the facebook twitter thing (about an hour a week, anything more is a waste of your time), keep posts of up Craigslist, I might be able to help you with a website, get a list of every school near you, contact them all, find out the PTSOs and schmooze them. Get good business cards and drop them like a maple tree drops it's leaves in fall.

I know exactly what I'm telling you. I'm asking you to work harder. Around the clock.

Brother, only reason I'm typing to you now is I'm trying to relax. And I can only think about one thing: this business.

Super Weenie

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
I second everything he said.

And he's right... this is a job, but it's also a lifestyle. I love it, even when I'm laying awake at 1am thinking about it.