Author Topic: Battery Power  (Read 465 times)

ansio

• View Profile
Battery Power
« on: December 14, 2016, 04:55:55 AM »
Has anyone had any experience running off of a battery bank with an inverter hooked into the power panel?
One place I would like to sell will not let us run a generator. So I am looking to do some kind of battery bank system into an inverter for power. The only thing I really need to run is two lights and the refrigerator for less than 5 hours a day.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

RobDawg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Battery Power
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »
I haven't hooked my setup into a panel because I don't have a panel on the cart I work. But I do have electrical need and this is the setup I use..

2 interstate deep cycle marine batteries
1 Power inverter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T564EIY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) there are plenty of size options for your power needs.
1 surge protector form Costco because I didn't want huge extension cords running all over.

with that setup I'm able to run my refrigerator and lights with out issue for 8hrs easily. I made sure my lights were LED, and that my refrigerator was well insulated and had a reasonably low load to start. Once it's cold it will stay cold for a long time. so I make sure to limit the amount of time I'm opening the door. The biggest load put on the system is when the refrigerator fires up. but that's to be expected. I have 2 batteries, but only run 1 at a time. I suppose I could daisy chain them together but I haven't needed to as the system runs great the way it is. IF you needed more power this could be an option.

So long story short it runs like this... appliances to surge protector, surge protector to inverter, inverter to battery.

Easy mode.

Improvements I'm looking into are kill switches for the system and remote temp monitoring (because I'm a control freak like that)

hopefully this helps. Let us know what you decide to do.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 02:43:38 AM »
My question would be why do the people not want you to have a generator?  The weight of lugging around two deep cell batteries and the other required equipment.  I have never used one of these but I would think that this would be a better idea:
https://www.edgestar.com/fp430-compact-edgestar-portable-refrigerator-freezer/FP430.html

This Frig/Freezer would keep items cold for the five hours or less that you need, you could keep it plugged into your vehicle until you arrive then if temp get lower than you want just plug it back into your vehicle.  For lights I would use battery type units with rechargeable battery.

Please look before you leap, I talked to some real smart people and that lead me away from the deep cell battery system, I'm not saying it will not work just a lot of weight to hall around.

The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

CupaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »
My trailer from Cottage Concessions came with 4 solar panels on roof and a Cobra inverter. I bought Two deep cycle 6 volt batteries (Battery Giant) then attached them as 12 volt (by attaching the negative from one battery to the poss on the other) run my register, lights, water pump, and fridge. Double 6 volt at 200 AMP hour each is what I bought on advice from battery guy. Larry suggested using a furniture dolly with batteries in the same way you would a generator. I roll them into the garage and plug them in overnight to top off the charge. Cottage concessions built in a coffee maker that runs on propane so I really don't need too much power. I hate starting a generator and almost never do. definately consider battery power.