Author Topic: Chili and Condiments  (Read 4599 times)

Delicious Hot Dogs

• View Profile
Chili and Condiments
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »
I'm a newbie in western North Carolina and have been doing my research for a couple of months now.  I've decided on a cart and the HD gave me a thumbs up based on the brochure. Two possibilities on a commissary and should have a commitment this week. I've found good sources for product.
Is there a generally accepted formula for the amount of chili and condiments per 100 hot dogs?
I plan to only offer basic dogs and condiments to start with and monitor requests and input from customers on adding others.
Thanks for any and all responses.  Should be some good info here to help get started and reduce the number of mistakes a newbie always makes.
Ronnie
Ronnie James

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Chili and Condiments
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
I have tried chili but I have found that it is not worth the effort or the cost.  I agree with you on the basic, condiments.  I use Mustard, ketchup, cut onions, relish, hot peppers, banana peppers and kraut and my special sauce.  i figure about .05 per item for cost.  You will find that some most will only want mustard, ketchup, relish and onions but not all.  you will learn your customers.  start small and basic...DUGGS DOGGS GOOD!! GOOD!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »
I have tried chili but I have found that it is not worth the effort or the cost.  I agree with you on the basic, condiments.  I use Mustard, ketchup, cut onions, relish, hot peppers, banana peppers and kraut and my special sauce.  i figure about .05 per item for cost.  You will find that some most will only want mustard, ketchup, relish and onions but not all.  you will learn your customers.  start small and basic...DUGGS DOGGS GOOD!! GOOD!!

Great advice!

~ Red
"Some Will, Some Won't, So What, Next!!!"

Doc's Devil Dawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »
I'm actually doing a cost analysis and was trying to figure the condiment situation in order to try to stay within a 30-35% cost....so I have a question on a 8:1 what would be a good measure as far as ounces for the condiments (Ketchup, Mustard,Relish etc.) so I can have a better picture as far as getting the most accurate cost analysis and be as close as possible to stay within my 30-35% COGS.  I'm including everything in that COGS (Hot Dog, Hot Dog Bun, Chips, Drinks, Cookies, Water, Boat, Napkins, Condiments). How did you most of you do it?
You cannot manage what you cannot measure ... and what gets measured gets done - Bill Hewlett

Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had beer and hot dogs. -
Dwight D. Eisenhower

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »
I let my customers load their dogs with the basics and the condiments however they want for free. (Think Subway.) I keep religious records of what my customers are using and what is waste, so I've got a good handle on what costs are based on what's being actually consumed, that gives me the cost average for my basic dogs, and I set my retail based on cost X 3 as a rule of thumb. Specialty dogs and items are based on making the item + recipe cost + mark-up.

Hope that helps,

~ Red
"Some Will, Some Won't, So What, Next!!!"

ODoggys

• #lovetoserve
    • View Profile
    • O'Doggy's
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 07:01:49 AM »
Chili is one of those items that are regional...  right down to the type of chili used.  We go through quite a bit of chili here in the Midwest.  It can be a great addition if your customers like it.  As with anything, keep a good record of what is being used, and what is being requested.  We've eliminated some items and added others to adapt to our area.  (and believe it or not, ketchup is our top moving condiment)

Good Luck,
Cory

Delicious Hot Dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:00:58 AM »
Thanks Cory,
I'm looking forward to getting cranked up after the first of the year.

Ronnie
Ronnie James

hotdogsforacause

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »

I figure 1 oz. of chili per dog and 1/2 oz. of each condiment- onions, mustard, relish, etc. I let the customer get as much condiments as they like.  Here in the Upstate of SC chili is requested about 90% of the time, especially the adults.   Doing a backyard taste test/cookout with your neighbors and friends will give you insight as to what condiments go best in WNC.  Good Luck!
" I plan on living forever- or at least die trying!"
  Groucho Marx

Delicious Hot Dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 06:59:57 AM »
Thanks, this ratio of condiments to dogs is the info I was looking for.

I appreciate this forum and the information.  It will help.

Ronnie
Ronnie James

zombiedawgs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 12:50:47 PM »
Thanks for the estimates everyone. I was wondering the same thing in order to keep costs in line. I figured basic condiments would be free and then a slaw or chili dog would be a different price.

Duggs Doggs-- Do you charge more for your special sauce or do you have it on your cart as just one more condiment? Do you give sample tastes of it to entice people to try it?

Do any of you have a signature dog that contains unusual items (pineapple, fresh mozzarella, etc)? Or is a hot dog cart just too small to have to deal with such things?
Thanks for all of ya'll's input.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:28:12 PM »
Keep it basic.  I don't do chilli or slaw.  My secret sauce is just that a secret, only my wife and myself know what in it.  I do let people taste it but I don't sell it.  I will put it on a sausage dog or hot dog for free if you buy them from me.  Most people want mustard, ketchup, relish and onions on their dogs.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Chrisfoodude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 02:59:29 PM »
Chili is hit and miss i notice if there is a place where alcohol is involved i will sell a lot of chili dogs.  Even on the street its strange there are days I will sell a ton of chili dogs and then there will be a week of just me eating a chili dog.

SUPERDOG

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
When you first get going, keep it as basic basic as possible; you'll have a tough enough time remembering your name.  Don't try to project anything 100 dogs out; all of that is nothing more than conjecture.  Just plan your condiments for the moment and let them evolve on their own.  It won't take long to learn what you bought vs. what the customer wants.  As an example, in my area, mayonnaise is, by far, the number one comdiment followed by ketchup.  I never, ever would have foreseen that one.  Buy small at first and plan on adjusting and shopping daily.  In time, it will all fall into place and you can begin to fine-tune and do some projecting.  You can't guide the customer toward wanting what you have; they'll want what they want.  Let it happen on its own.

UnkleWheez

• Top SVF Contributor
  • Feeding and serving the community.
    • View Profile
    • Roane's Dogs
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
I will take that advice SuperDog. Thanks
Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter!
www.facebook.com/RoanesDogs www.twitter.com/RoanesDogs

RobDawg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
Sitting here in sponge mode taking it all in. Thanks for all the advise and insight. I too have a Hotdog sauce that people would drink if I put it in a glass. I wonder how similar ours are Dugg?!