Author Topic: Credit Card Readers  (Read 2415 times)

BeefyDJangles

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Credit Card Readers
« on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
I am wondering what credit card readers others are using if any at all.  I definitely would prefer to stick to cash only but I am going to be serving predominantly college kids so I am concerned that I may lose business if I do not accept credit cards.  My biggest concern is that there will be technical difficulties and it will cause delays and upset customers.  Any advice or input would be great!

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Credit Card Readers
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 05:37:27 PM »
Square has worked great for me, check on the type of phone or tablet you use to see if they work, must have bank account; charge is 2.75% per transaction, go to their website and check it out.  Never had any issues with them at all.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

HotDogopolis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »
Hi BeefyDJangles. You are very unlikely to have technical problems with Square as long as you have reliable data on your phone. It just works.

I do have a real problem with the way things are going with every transaction we make in this world going through a bank, or with someone skimming a percentage. I wish people would use cash. I'm not being old-fashioned. I really think there are big advantages to using cash for both consumer, and vendor. I don't think it's fair to expect a small business person to take a 2.75% pay cut.

All that being said, I'm not about to let a customer think that I have any problem with taking cards. As far as the customer is concerned, I take them enthusiastically. I'm not stubborn enough to let a customer walk on past me. You are correct with your assumption that college kids primarily use cards. Taking cards is a must if you do late nights at the bars. I have done some late night gigs where I only take cards. Drunk college kids with daddy's credit card! They don't care how much you are charging for your dogs at 2:30am.

Taking Square payments is only very slightly slower than taking cash, however, you can speed up the swipes if you mount your device to your cart somehow. It's MUCH faster than handling the device. You can also set up the account where customers do not have to sign if the transaction is less than $25. That is a huge time saver.

Good luck. Have fun!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:16:53 PM by HotDogopolis »

BeefyDJangles

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Has anyone used the card reader through Paypal?  It has a slightly lower percentage rate and the money is instantly in the Paypal account instead of 1-2 business days as it is with square.  Also, I am slightly confused with the charges I am going to be getting.  Here is the info I am seeing.  For square, the US card swipe rate is 2.75%.  But then it also lists the US Card Scan and Key-in Rate of 3.5%+$0.15.  What is the difference?  Which rate should I expect to be paying?  Obviously the 2.75% is preferable.  The main concern here would be the additional $0.15.  Is that a per transaction fee?  It is fairly substantial when it is likely most purchases are going to be in the $6 range.  That would mean the charges would be more like 6%.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
If you swipe the card it is 2.75%, they take it off the top and send you the balance; great training info is provide with square; the Key-in Rate of 3.5%+$0.15 is only charged when you don't swipe the card; I have only used this once or twice when I had to take a charge from a company over the phone, it worked fine but i charged the company extra for doing this.  I am old so what I did was set the account up, used my credit card and charge a $1.00 sale, I wanted to see it work before I depended on it.  It normally takes me about three days, the last time I did a big company the charge was made on the 19 June 2015 and the money was in my account on 22 June 2015.  Paypal;  I have never used it but from what I understand they (paypal) puts the money on a debit card, I don't like this.  I assume they still do this.  Also I charge an additional 3% on all credit card charges, you can set it up to take taxes and even tips.  Issues are normally not having the correct phone, you can check this by going to the square website.  Also battery in phone will run down if you leave it connected without having the phone on AC.  Logging in is easy and I normally only operate about 4 hours and normally have the ability to recharge my phone.  I also prefer to use a tablet, bigger screen for us old people.  lol
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:57:21 PM »
I ordered my Square reader a few days ago and it should be here by the third.
Welcome to Dash's Delicious Dogs

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
You will find that your customers are more comfortable with it than you are. Apparently they do it all the time.

A couple things with Square:

1. Keep antibacterial wipes right next to it so the guest can wipe off the screen and their fingers. Also, wipe that stupid screen all the time. That is like SUCH A BLATANT VECTOR OF CROSS CONTAMINATION.

2. Square wants to nickel and dime you for full transactional information. Like if you do several large transactions in a day or week, it can be confusing to see which client paid what amount because you don't get customer details. They want you to upgrade to a monthly service plan to see your own transactional data. WTF?

3. Just go ahead and get a spare dongle or two, the things get lost as easy as flash drives but BE EXTRA SURE TO LOG OUT OF SQUARE ON ANY PHONE YOU PUT YOUR DONGLE INTO. I had a guy take my dongle to help me work an event, he never logged out and all his cash sales on his own location the next day went into my account. Man that was a hassle. And listen, if somebody gets your logged in dongle, they can seriously screw with you if they want to.

So be careful where you wag your dongle in this schwangle.

Much Mozzle!

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 05:28:10 PM »
Hopefully I get my Square reader tomorrow. I set up my Square account using my business checking account. I'm so excited to offer my customers next weekend the chance to pay by credit/debit card.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
If you get into catering big companies, have the square is a must, some companies will only pay by credit card.  Spend a dollar and make a charge on your credit card, truly all you loose is the 2.75% charge, this will make it easier when you start using it in public.  I use a table because it is bigger.

HotDogopolis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »
Very true duggsdoggs! I did a gig at a university recently. They said that I could get paid by check in three weeks, or by card that day. I chose the check. Just kidding!

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »
I read that the Square reader works even if you have a weak Internet signal. How true is that?

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
i understand that it will, never had that issue before.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
I read that the Square reader works even if you have a weak Internet signal. How true is that?

Roughly not at all.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
To the Great OZ, Wrong:

If your internet connection becomes interrupted or temporarily unavailable, you can enable Offline Mode to accept swiped card payments. Any transactions you accept while in Offline Mode will be processed when you regain internet connectivity within 72 hours.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5082-payment-troubleshooting#connectivity

Good!! Good!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:21:43 PM by duggsdoggs »

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 08:31:58 PM »
I got my Square reader yesterday and I recently got the email from Square telling me my bank account is verified.

I can't wait to try it out.