Author Topic: Prices  (Read 4681 times)

This topic contains a post which is marked as Best Answer. Press here if you would like to see it.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Prices
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:20:25 PM »
What do you charge for a hot dog and why!!

I get that question from everyone or even sometimes I hear: "You charge $2.25 for a hot dog"!!  Well my normal comment is the hot dog is free you just have to pay me $2.25 for my time (just kidding).  I guess that everyone knows my prices but here they are again if you don't know:

Hot Dog 8/1 All Beef served on a normal bun, $2.25 including tax
Big Dog 4/1 All Beef served on a fresh baked bun from our local bakery, $4.50 including tax
Sausage Dog 4/1 Roger Wood brand, also served on a fresh baked bun from our local bakery, $4.50 including tax
Hot Dog Combo, 12 oz Coke Brand Drink, and 1oz Lays Brand Chip, $4.50, including tax
Big Dog Combo, 12 oz Coke Brand Drink, and 1oz Lays Brand Chip, $5.50, including tax
Sausage Dog Combo, 12 oz Coke Brand Drink, and 1oz Lays Brand Chip, $5.50, including tax
Chips Lays Brand 1oz, 1.25, including tax
Drink Coke Brand 12 oz can, 1.25, Including tax
All above served with Mustard, Ketchup, Sweet Relish, Fresh Chopped Onion, Dill Pickle, Yellow Banana Peppers, Jalapeno Hot Peppers, Kraft Cheese, Sauer Kraut and Special Sauce.  (Note I will not tell anyone what is in the Special Sauce so don't ask).  You can have the dog dressed any way you wish with the above condiments but I dress everything because no one touches my food till I give it to you.

In saying that my menu is hard printed and never changes just because I am at a special event, festival, or on my street spot so if you set up next to me and cut your prices then I am sorry you don't make any money but my prices are set and do not change.  I have only had one price increase since 2009 which was this year.  I have had menu changes but they were made to keep my prices the same for all those years.  I have never charged for condiments.  I don't do slaw or chili so if you want a hot dog that you can not taste cover it with chili or slaw.  My catering prices are a little different but only based on the number of people that I feed and my set up fee if I charge one.

I am not telling anyone to charge what I charge for a meal but I am trying to show a base line, City, State or areas are different, I know vendors that get $8 for a Sausage Dog and that is without the meal.

I will say that I think that having a professional setup with a professionally made menu; a clean cart; well taken care of equipment, having professional type signage will all increase your sales.  Yes you must have good food but these items along with great service and a person that acts like they really enjoy what they are doing really helps, people notice that you are wearing gloves, have a hat on, are clean, have a clean area.

I may never be rich selling hot dogs but I will say that it is a blast for me to here someone say that a family member or a friend said I have the best hot dogs anywhere...or when a parent stops and says that I served their kids at day care and they had to stop and have a hot dog from the hot dog guy...The stories go on and on and on....Yes, I enjoy my little "Big Dog" but I enjoy providing a service..

Be a professional!! Provide a service!! Make it fun!! Customers want a Experience!!

Duggs Doggs
Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Prices
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »
Good thread.
Welcome to Dash's Delicious Dogs

Pastor Josh

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »
Good thread indeed!

Thanks for sharing.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 07:28:06 PM »
I disagree. I don't think it was a very good menu at all.

First thing is it needs more fonts. And it needs to be flashy, like it wants to run away with the guy in line ahead of you and leave you screwed. I'm thining something that reaches today's market. Something with flames and skulls and truck nutz.

These days it takes more than just a blunt statement of the facts of a good meal for a good price, they also want to have a tatchkie. Like a little Dugg bobblehead to put on the dash. Or for the ladies, a refrigerator magnet that says "I did it with Duggs Doggs, Good Good" because you know only one person will see it.

Her husband. And what's he gonna do?

Ever hear any publicity is better than no publicity?

Plus any marketing expert these days will tell you that any visual presentation is better with intuitive charts and graphs so this needs some charts and graphs showing things like the % of people who are happier than the status quo because they eat Duggs Doggs and how they lose weight and suffer a lower rate of congestive heart failure.

That might make up for all the divorces and grief that comes from guys like us being in public. Not to mention a certain philosophical threat to the status quo.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:14:08 PM »
OK maybe a more serious answer.

Dugg has this doctrine of fairness thing going. I haven't grilled him on his model but that's a location-thing or a local thing. When you are rocking a location, reliability is key. Listening to what your customers want and getting it for them is key. YOU GOTTA BE THEIR GUY!

Anything else? Heh. Serving kids at the local ball park ain't the same as slinging at a biker rally. For one thing the kids don't stink as bad but for another, not a single one of those kids can afford $30k+ of gleeming American road iron so YEAH, THE KID PAYS $2 AND THE BIKER PAYS $4.

The difference is the biker gets the FULL RIDE TOPPINGS. Kids just want catchup unless they are Arizona kids in which case you better have jalapenos.

Now let's talk catering my little puppies. Heh. Get a job to feed 3000 people. Get a job to feed 3000 people in 3 hours.

I think that is expressed by 3000÷(3×60). And that means you have exactly 16.6 seconds per serving.

Where's your math now?

Delicious Hot Dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 10:11:15 AM »
Hey Dugg!
I appreciate your posting of prices. I'm now encouraged to raise mine slightly keeping them in line with what you are doing. I'm curious though about you dressing the dog instead of allowing the customer to do it. I got started last August and vended through October. Haven't started yet this year because of having a hip replaced this month. I plan to start the middle of June. I don't have your experience and don't profess to have the answers so I would appreciate your input on dressing the dog vs. allowing the customer to do it. This site has been a wealth of ideas and you have been generous with your advice.
Thanks,
Ronnie
Ronnie James

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
First thing is I don't know everything and the way I do things may not work for you but I will give you the reasons why I do what I do.  I have a Big Dog cart which most people know and on the end of the cart is a condiment tray that I covered up the after the first time I used my cart, I use a tray called twice the ice condiment tray and fix every hot dog, Big Dog and Sausage Dog that is served from my cart; why you ask, first is the mess, I have watched other vendors throughout the last few years that allow people to fix their own condiments and found that the mess is beyond what I wish to see; I also ensure that I change gloves on every customer, people notice that, people like clean, fresh and good good food.  Second, I can control the amount of condiments that I place on the dogs and this is a saving to me, I have customers that want extra Ketchup or extra onion so I pile it on; but the next person may only want a naked dog.  Third, I can wait on my customers and provide what I call a truly good good experience at my cart; also for me my customers what to be waited on or served; service is what is missing in most fast food; you go to McD's or BK or anywhere and you have to fix your own drink but you pay a very high price to wait on yourself.  Now that I have said that, if you are doing events that you have thousands and thousands of people coming up and you are looking for speed of service then yes let them fix their own dog, if you can put up with the mess that you will need to clean up and can control your fixed cost or have that set in you profit model then do it that way.  Most of all do what you feel you need to do to provide a service and make a profit.  In saying all of that I have done events that I used the little packet of condiments because the company paying the bill requested the packet, I served 600 meals in a few hours of 2 hot dogs, drink, chip, and cookie but that is what the customer wanted.  You may wish to try it both ways and see what works for you.  The great thing about this business is you can change things and if it works keep it and if it does not work do something else.  The little things work better for my customers; the little jokes about not kissing boys after eating onion or my tips are up when I wear shorts (it's the legs), Have a All American Dog or a Yankee Dog or a German Dog or just the works, these things all give me something to say; gives the customers a experience, service, fun.  What I have found that works better for me is the KISS method (Keep it Simple Stupid)...Oh and always make it fun.  Last but not least the town that I operate in is small less than 6000 people and repeat business is not only wanted but required; everyone knows everyone and if I have heard it once I have heard it a 1000 times "Everybody says that you have the best hot dogs anywhere".  Knowing that I sell the same hot dogs that most Street Food Vendors sell then why would that say that; could be the way I cook them but I think it is my service; people want Service...Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

Marked as best answer by duggsdoggs on May 25, 2015, 02:23:58 PM

Delicious Hot Dogs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
Very solid, sound advice. I'm going to experiment with it to see if it works for me. I also have the Big Dog and decided not to use the built-in condiment tray opting instead for one off Ebay. Going to modify the cart a little based on my experience from last year.
Thanks a lot!
Ronnie
Ronnie James

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »
Literary criticism is a 2 way street Dugg.

They are called paragraphs Dugg. Each distinct thought in your piece should be it's own paragraph. What you have is this solid wall of writing that I have to go through and imagine when you are completeing one thought and starting another.

Plus there are these things called lists. There are numbered lists and bullet pointed lists. They help people understand things in this manner:
  • Listen to Dugg
  • Get a cart
  • Start slinging

That's a numbered list. There's also bullet points for non-serial information.
  • Dugg is smart.
  • He gives Good Good! advice.
  • He wants you to succeed.

Would you believe all of this you can do with your keyboard and those little buttony things up above your post composing environment? The word for it is "semantic informational presentation" but let's just start with using that enter button to identify a paragraphical stucture buddy.

Baby steps old timer. I won't let you fall.

Pastor Josh

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
LOL!  Oh my.

So anyway,

I also have the Big Dog and decided not to use the built-in condiment tray opting instead for one off Ebay. Going to modify the cart a little based on my experience from last year.
Thanks a lot!
Ronnie

Ronnie,
can you tell us about those modifications?  What are they?

Thanks

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:21:37 AM »
Ronnie,
can you tell us about those modifications?  What are they?

No Pastor he cannot. He's sworn to secrecy but I can give you a hint: condiments like fresh chopped onions and jalapenos and relish suffer the effects of heat and thence dessication so what we need is a device that materially transports condiments from the frige in the commissary directly to our condiment trays in real time and on a on-demmand basis. To do this we need to dis-assemble not only each condiment but each ingredient in each condiment down to the molecular level and transport these same to you over a data stream using your smart phone.

The only reason why we don't release the full alpha specs now is certain anomalies resulting from heuristic algorythms. For one thing, the sotware has this function that tries to anticipate the OPPOSITE of what you want. That started as an answer for running out of diet sodas all the time. We have a diet soda. It's called WATER. Well the "opposite algo" started trying to sell people cold cats rather than hot dogs. Let's just say we have to work some bugs out of this system.

OF COURSE HE COULD BE TALKING ABOUT MY PORTABLE RADIONUCLEIDE GENERATOR which instantly wipes out any bacteria or germs on your prouduct without the need for refrigeration. It's a sound concept but so far it seems to kill all human, plant and animal life within a 20k radius so once again, just a bit of fine tuning and we'll have this out as fast as you want it to be. We got these time travel devices and we can send the technology back to the sub-primates. We tried it! We got back winged science monkeys! Who do you think is developing all this new technology?

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »
(Let get this thread back on topic again)

I've been reading about pricing and some suggest to include the price of the napkin, bag, etc into the price of each menu item.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 03:35:11 AM »
I got these spreadsheets that do that. I got this one where you input the price of a pack of hot dogs and how many hot dogs come in a pack and same for the buns and stuff but paper trays are dicey: they are hard to separate in fast service so we end up doing like 1.25 trays per hot dog and napkins? If you let people help themselves to napkins or condiments the cost to you is someplace between $0.05 and $0.15. That's a huge amount of "slop" but we're talking pennies so I just tend to slap on the $0.15 to the per-unit cost estimate.

I got this other speadsheet that's like a COGS analysis on steriods. It takes ALL OF YOUR EXPENSES ON AN ANNUALIZED OR MONTHLY BASIS and then you input how many working days or event jobs you HAVE DONE OR WANT TO DO and divides them all up on a per-job basis so YOU ACTUALLY KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTS YOU TO BRING A CART OUT OF THE COMMISSARY. And IT WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO CHARGE FOR YOUR PRODUCT TO BE PROFITABLE.

And this is the make-you-or-break you spreadsheet. Lack of this basic business intelligence is why most slingers fail in their first 2 years. And when I say lack of business intelligence I don't mean to say that you are dumb. I mean to say that you lack the intel, the INFORMATION you need to make sound decisions.

This is the second time I'm gonna make this offer: I'm willing to do a conference call in which I will send you these spreadsheets and tell you how to use them.  I'm not willing to just publish them like my cart checklist because there are so many "calculation fields" that a newb will just break the tool and it will be useless.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 07:52:48 AM »
I got these spreadsheets that do that. I got this one where you input the price of a pack of hot dogs and how many hot dogs come in a pack and same for the buns and stuff but paper trays are dicey: they are hard to separate in fast service so we end up doing like 1.25 trays per hot dog and napkins? If you let people help themselves to napkins or condiments the cost to you is someplace between $0.05 and $0.15. That's a huge amount of "slop" but we're talking pennies so I just tend to slap on the $0.15 to the per-unit cost estimate.

I got this other speadsheet that's like a COGS analysis on steriods. It takes ALL OF YOUR EXPENSES ON AN ANNUALIZED OR MONTHLY BASIS and then you input how many working days or event jobs you HAVE DONE OR WANT TO DO and divides them all up on a per-job basis so YOU ACTUALLY KNOW HOW MUCH IT COSTS YOU TO BRING A CART OUT OF THE COMMISSARY. And IT WILL TELL YOU EXACTLY HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO CHARGE FOR YOUR PRODUCT TO BE PROFITABLE.

And this is the make-you-or-break you spreadsheet. Lack of this basic business intelligence is why most slingers fail in their first 2 years. And when I say lack of business intelligence I don't mean to say that you are dumb. I mean to say that you lack the intel, the INFORMATION you need to make sound decisions.

This is the second time I'm gonna make this offer: I'm willing to do a conference call in which I will send you these spreadsheets and tell you how to use them.  I'm not willing to just publish them like my cart checklist because there are so many "calculation fields" that a newb will just break the tool and it will be useless.

This sounds really helpful to new vendors.

So you calculate paper products into your cost of each hot dog?

Do you offer straws for the drinks?

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
New Vendors = yes
Straws = yes
Cost = yes