Author Topic: So we're rebranding. Very corporate sounding type of thing.  (Read 5070 times)

OzDogs

• View Profile
Name change, new organization, new computer and interwebby things, new people, new projects. New logo, new business cards on the way, new hats, new stickers for the carts, new trade names, new this, new that, new the other.

I can officially pronounce OzDogs as retired. Might as well pronounce it here, not sure anybody else will care. Did you know that corporations spends zillions of dollars carefully shaping a rebranding? Heh.

We totally restructured or are restructuring. The new thing is AZHotdog.com. The .com thing is to show that we're all hip and with it. And no longer shall our powers be associated with the Almighty Oz or wizardry in general. I'm stepping aside.

AZHotdog is gonna have more of a corporate thing happening hopefully. Not just in terms of more reporting and paperwork and bullishness ;) but in terms of how we're going to be increasing and encouraging creativity and responsibility. Servers have just become captains. And every one of the captains has aspirations to have their own cart and get their own magic going. I know. I spent deep time in the last few months bringing people out, trying them out. And I found some jewels. Some diamonds in the rough. Not just that, we lost two tow vehicles this spring so these rough diamonds got polished mighty quick. It went from "yeah I can help you out" to "holy crap i need your help now". They just pulled us through a rough patch. Good way to get to know people fast.

I don't know how other slingers make it without some help these days. Here we are on this forum giving it away for nothing but it's not like actually doing it and it's not like having support. We're taking it to the streets to see if we can do together what the big boys do in this town.

So I guess I'm talking about a micro-franchise experiment. Kind of like an organic model to franchise. I'm investing in people. And I kinda set a personal challenge for myself: I want good people to be able to make more money with us than they can elsewhere. Plus have more fun.

So we're AZHotdog.com to the world now but I'm still Oz to you guys. Or you can call me The Hot Dog Artist Formerly Known As Oz. Ask Duggs what to call me and he'll say "the guy that talks too much". So you can call me TGTTTM. Sounds like "Ta Get 'Em". GRRRRR! TIGER FACE!

Here's how you will be able to tell how we are doing:

1. If I post and tell you everything is great, that means I'm having some trouble.

2. If I post and ask for your help and insight, that means I'm doing pretty fine.

3. If I stop posting that means everything is going down in flames.

No matter what happens GET OUT THERE AND SELL!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:46:43 PM by OzDogs »

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: So we're rebranding. Very corporate sounding type of thing.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 02:56:01 PM »
I for one like the name OZdogs but it is not my company.   When I hear OZ I think of "THE GREAT OZ" who was kinda crazy...I am a one man operation well except when my wife helps me.  For me being the lone wolf fits better.   The re-branding is a hard thing to do.  Managing more than one cart would drive me nuts because I am stuck in my ways of how I think MY business will be run and how MY customers are treated so I will stay small.  I do this for the enjoyment and to make a little money but mostly for fun....I really hope that A-Z Hot Dogs does great but I don't get the new name.  Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
I have experience managing a team of people so while rebranding isn't easy it's doable.
I get your new name because you are using the abbreviation of that your in.

Dugg you are right about wanting your business run a certain way and for that you would have to train people and you and your wife manage every aspect of the business all why you still work your normal job.

I feel the same way and I want to be able to grow my business and have a few carts out there all working under my company name. To do this I know I have to hire and train management that I can trust to help keep the street side of the business running smoothly while I handle the business side of things.

Oz I wish you all the best with rebranding your business. I bet with your website skills, my management style, and DuggsDoggs years of experience we could have a very successful hot dog vending corporation right now.
Welcome to Dash's Delicious Dogs

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:28:21 PM »
Dugg you are right about wanting your business run a certain way and for that you would have to train people and you and your wife manage every aspect of the business all why you still work your normal job.

Wait wait wait whoa who ever said anything about  a normal job?

My friend I haven't had a job, much less a normal one in over 2 decades. I consider even the implication that I have or even want a job to be insulting. I am willing to work as hard as necessary to not have a job. I'm working hard to make a way for other people to work as hard as necessary to not be dependants of the state.

That's not a job, that's a life mission. Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Train him up and get him set up with his own cart and he gets to trade hot dogs for fish and whatever other type of animal.

N

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
Oz you missed the part when I said Dugg in the beginning of the post that you quoted me in.

I wasn't referring to you having a job I was talking to Dugg.

painless

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »
I have experience managing a team of people so while rebranding isn't easy it's doable.

I feel the same way and I want to be able to grow my business and have a few carts out there all working under my company name. To do this I know I have to hire and train management that I can trust to help keep the street side of the business running smoothly while I handle the business side of things.

Oz I wish you all the best with rebranding your business. I bet with your website skills, my management style, and DuggsDoggs years of experience we could have a very successful hot dog vending corporation right now.

I don't want to run a dozen carts, or trailers, but would like to expand into a commissary with spaces I can rent out bu the month.  I might be persuaded to fetch supplies from Dallas, and re-sell them to my renters.  I have been in management, and want no more part of it.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 05:24:28 AM »

I don't want to run a dozen carts, or trailers, but would like to expand into a commissary with spaces I can rent out bu the month.  I might be persuaded to fetch supplies from Dallas, and re-sell them to my renters.  I have been in management, and want no more part of it.

Being in management isn't easy and I think it's easier if you like giving orders instead of taking orders.

For me managing a team is fun.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Oz you missed the part when I said Dugg in the beginning of the post that you quoted me in.

Oh sorry. Pardon me. It just so happens I'm pathologically allergic to having a job. Just the mere mention of a job can make me break out in hives.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:23:48 AM »

Oh sorry. Pardon me. It just so happens I'm pathologically allergic to having a job. Just the mere mention of a job can make me break out in hives.

Okay Oz. No problem we still cool.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:30:10 AM »

I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer. I'm always looking for what I don't know I don't know. The hidden pothole. Where's the downside I'm not seeing?

Can you see one? The repeat customers will call the same number, the emails all go to gmail like always. And I know I come off as pompous to you guys but outside of our little hot dog world, nobody cares what I'm called, we are all collectively just "the hot dog guy".

The only downside I see is to my ego.  And how the name Oz was a tribute to my dearly departed father and brothers. But there's this old teaching. It's the concept of "make room". Sometimes an old tree has to die to allow sunlight to reach the forest floor so all new plants and trees can have room to grow. And this creates "browse" for the deer and the bunnies and then the wolf and fox have something to eat so there is abundance. I think that's an old Cherokee teaching. "Make room".

Now that the son of this house is getting involved and his ambition leads him to get his own crews and equipment together, he doesn't need my name on the masthead. And I'm encouraging our new slingers to be managers, not just servers.  And I guess I see my role as not being so much of a leader as a support system. I think I wanna create a "hot dog incubator". I'd like to see a dozen new businesses spin off this one. And I don't even have a very good reason for this other than I think I can make it happen and I think it will be fun.

I like having fun. Actually I simply refuse to do anything these days if it's not fun.

I don't see a downside really. But again, that's what scares me. It's always what you don't know that gets ya. I'm hoping maybe some of the advice I give you folks justifies you giving me some coaching back.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 11:36:58 AM »
Well Oz make sure the people your hire and train to run their own crews know how to properly hire and train those crew members.

A team is only as strong as its leader.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
Okay Oz. No problem we still cool.

Know something?

You are gonna do fine in this business. You are gonna be a credit to this business. Just watch out for the meanies. That's what my guru Old Pete drilled into me. There's the nice guys and the meanies. The meanies are always trying to tear you down to build themselves up. We're the nice guys and we got your 6.

The meanies never last long.

Kinda strange for a business that seems so simple but none of us make it far wtihout some help. And it seems to me that everything I know I learned from somebody else.  People aren't born knowing how to fix a tractor. People aren't born knowing how to tap a maple tree or make a bunny-snare. And I can tell you 100% in computer technology, we are all copying from each other. Every geek I know, we are all just throwing code at each other. Oh hey you want to do that? Here's some code! Maybe you can adapt it.

It's like beyond communism. And I'm like so conservative I make George W Bush look like a pot smoking hippy. Yet here's us geeks just literally GIVING OUR CODE AWAY.

Why? I dunno. We created the Linux operating system that powers half the computers and most of the phones in this world and we did it COLLABORATIVELY.

Most of the internet itself is the result of generations of collaborative effort. And as much as I hate to admit it, Obama was right when he said "you didn't build that business". AS IT PERTAINS TO TECHNOLOGY, he's absolutely correct. Most businesses these days rely on technology they didn't create.

Now as it pertains to you guys, screw him. You guys actually built businesses from the ground up and I accord you with all the pride of ownership and propertarian values. And until they make an iCart that sells hot dogs for us, you will remain right where God intended you to be:

in the driver's seat.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
Well Oz make sure the people your hire and train to run their own crews know how to properly hire and train those crew members.

A team is only as strong as its leader.

I think I lucked out in an unlucky way. We lost two tow vehicles right in our busy season. So Oz went from being the guy that shows you how to do the business to being the guy that was like I NEED YOUR HELP TO MAINTAIN THIS BUSINESS NOW. OMG. HELP. PLEASE.

And this literally forced me to advertise on craigs list and call all my friends and just literally beg for help. And I went through a dozen or so candiates and snagged two that I'm gonna use to build this puppy out.

Another asset I had is because I'm a hyper-conservative, I have loose ties to this thing they call "the patriot movement" which is this massive coast to coast network and among these people, reputation is everything. And it's just full of can-do kinds of guys and gals that will do just about anything to help out another patriot. So I snagged a couple of them.

Because this reputation thing is so important to their whole community, I can hand these guys a cart and $200 cash and inventory and I know it's coming back. I've seen what happens when one of them acts out of order. They enforce their internal values very fast and hard. So this patriot thing has been a resource to me and a source of comfort. I kind of feel like that says something because I'm of mixed race. It's kinda hard to describe but I think they see me as their little red brother. I feel like I can trust these guys with my very life.

Leadership?

Born leader. I have "the voice of authority". I go BOOM! I take authority and responsibility like some people pluck apples from a tree. I take leadership because most people don't want to. That is not exactly my problem.

What I need to do is relax now and let other leaders rise. I have done this before. If you ask me, a leader is just a servant in disguise.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 12:40:36 PM »
Oz when are you going to write your security thread for the vendors in the street?

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
Oz when are you going to write your security thread for the vendors in the street?

I'm kinda waiting on Duggs permission on that one.  I keep the poor guy busy moving my jokes and off topic stories. Plus Duggs is a soldier and we could easily turn this whole forum into Opsec, situational awareness, pushing out the perimiter and maximizing the force continuum. And there are plenty of other forums that do that. So I guess the challenge would be to talk about it from our perspective without getting all freaked out about it.

I think about it in empathic terms. I don't worry about much of nothin but to a lady slinger, I have to be careful not to put them in a dangerous position. We have to find our own balance on that one. PPPPPP. Proper Plannning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.