Author Topic: Where To Buy Product?  (Read 5213 times)

BeefyDJangles

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Where To Buy Product?
« on: April 29, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
I am just starting out and have not yet purchased my cart or secured any of necessary permits and licenses yet.  I am still in the research stage.  I am curious how other vendors go about getting their food product.  Do you just go to the local wholesale shop and buy in bulk from places like Sam's, Costco, or GFS?  Do you have items shipped to the commissary that you use?  I have a restaurant background so I am used to ordering from major outfits and having them send the entire order out on a truck.  Obviously this would not be able to happen when the amount I am ordering is much less than what was required for the restaurants I used to work at.  I also don't think I would be able to have items shipped to the commissary I am going to use as my plan was to use a local church hopefully at no cost.  Everyone has different situations but any input on this would be appreciated it.  Thanks!

OzDogs

• View Profile
Re: Where To Buy Product?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 03:24:01 PM »
Uh, yes, yup, pretty much. You got the whole thing boss. If you have free cold storage there's no reason not to go with a wholesaler-distributor and get the absolute best price. Since cold storage costs most of us money, we keep light on inventory by hitting up Sams and Costco.

You won't be sorry serving Kirkland dogs. People are raving for them.

SupremeDogg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 08:57:28 PM »
Or, depending on where you are, you can find the local distributor of dogs you want to sell (sabretts, vienna, etc) and buy directly
from them. Many times they will hook you up with complimentary stuff like umbrellas and dispensers. Find their contact info and contact them. they are usually ready to talk to you since you are choosing to vend their product.

Another option is restaurant depot or jetro if you have one near you. These are convenient because they also have other supplies you will surely need. Good luck. And don't lose your momentum.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »
What brand dogs and buns do you have in mind?
Have you sampled any from the stores you named?
Welcome to Dash's Delicious Dogs

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:20 PM »
For buns, I use Sams but I also carry a local bakery bun (Hot Dog Roll) that is to die for.  Type of hot dog depends on where you are located and how much money you have; I for one use sams all beef and Nathan's 1/4 all beef.  I also use Roger Wood Sausage Dogs because they are made in Savannah Georgia.  But most of all I serve what I like.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:55 PM »
For buns, I use Sams but I also carry a local bakery bun (Hot Dog Roll) that is to die for.  Type of hot dog depends on where you are located and how much money you have; I for one use sams all beef and Nathan's 1/4 all beef.  I also use Roger Wood Sausage Dogs because they are made in Savannah Georgia.  But most of all I serve what I like.

I hear you talk so much about those sausage dogs. They must be really delicious.

BeefyDJangles

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »
I have not sampled any product from those stores yet. I am from Chicago originally so I am used to Vienna beef. Now the only hot dogs I buy are from the local meat shop that is run by the university in town. They have outstanding products that are made fresh. The dogs they sell are labeled as'old fashioned weiners'. The ingredients list pork as first ingredient. They vary in exact size but are closest to 6-1, and they sell for about $0.41 each. Would this be a good price point? I also think I could talk to the guy who runs the location and work out an even better deal. Had not thought too much on buns yet. Debating between with poppy seed out without. Mostly will be serving college kids, likely during bar rushes. Also have intentions to offer catering eventually so that would be a different target audience.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 08:21:12 AM »
How good are the Vienna polish boys?

As far as price $.41 is okay. If you can get buns for let's say $.12 each and $.16 to cover condiments without including your state tax your cost would be $.69.

Now I like to take my cost ($.69)รท35%(restaurant standard %)=$1.97. So $1.97 is your minimum price that you could sell those dogs for.

Here is a link explaining how I came up with the 35%.
http://restaurants.about.com/od/menu/a/foodcost.htm

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 07:04:59 PM »
Easy way is food cost x 3,

1 part food cost          .61     .
1 part operating cost  .61
1 part profit                .61
Total                          1.83

hot dog .33 bun .12 condiments .16 = .61 X 3 = 1.83 tax .12 = 1.95 round up to $2.00

This is the way old people do it.

Now in saying all of that i charge $2.25 for a all beef hot dog.

Good!! Good!!

The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
I just tried duggs method using the numbers from my post above and I got a total of $2.07 vs 1.97.
(.41+.12+.16=.69x3=2.07) vs (.41+.12+.16=.69/.35=1.97)

Now using duggs numbers and /.35,
.33+.12+.16=.61/.35=1.74+.12 (tax)=1.86.

So there is a noticeable difference between the two methods 1.86 vs 1.95 but both methods work and in the end is all about profit. So OP try both formulas and see which one you like best.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 11:48:55 PM »
Many times they will hook you up with complimentary stuff like umbrellas and dispensers. Find their contact info and contact them. they are usually ready to talk to you since you are choosing to vend their product.

Yeah that can save you from the $65 condiment dispenser and the $40 chip-rack.  The umbrellas we get from the producer/distributors are usually far more sturdy that whatever they got at Home Depot.

There's a much less expensive condiment dispenser at the Costco business center but it has no ice tray in the bottom,

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »
I don't have a Costco close to me.

BeefyDJangles

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 09:31:36 AM »
I get what you guys are saying about the food cost stuff. My concern is serving a dog that is not all beef. I am not questioning the quality of the product I want to serve as I know it is good. I am more curious if people will have the expectation of an all beef dog. Do people ever ask,'is this all beef?' I am probably over thinking this as my main customer will be drunk college kids at bar rush. I figure they will be more concerned with quickness and price more than anything. I also feel like $2 is too little and $3 is too much, but I don't want to deal with coins, though coins could increase tips. Thoughts?

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 01:55:31 PM »
How much is your cost for the not all beef hot dog? I'm able to carry a not all beef hot dog and still charge $2. That will be my cheapest dog on the menu.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
Every location is different, for me all beef was the way to go, most of my customers want All Beef in saying that I have carried a all chicken dog 1/4 and people loved it.  My reason for going to an all beef is they sale better and hold up better.  Serve what you like, you can always change, if you don't have hard print menu like I do you can add or take away or with hard print menu just list them as Hot Dogs.  The price for me for a hot dog is $2.25 for a 8/1 all beef and $4.50 for a 4/1 all beef but again every location is different.  Good!! Good!!