Author Topic: Struggling with Location  (Read 8042 times)

SupremeDogg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
Struggling with Location
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »
ok, so I'm trying to setup in this small town where city property is off limits, yada yada yada, we all know the drill! There is one main strip here about 1/2 mile long where all foot traffic passes. Every property manager/business/owner I've spoken to has either flat out said "No" or that they'll get back to me and of course they haven't. This has been the biggest hurdle for me as it has held up my process with the zoning/health department about a month so far. What are my options? I wanted to be ready to go by end of March, which is why I started the process first week of january. But things are looking a bit grim... help... what am I not looking at... outside the box suggestions...

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: Struggling with Location
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 04:44:06 PM »
You don't have to be on the main drag to make it, my first spot was at Advance Auto Parts two blocks from main.  I am not a lawer but I would think that you pay city taxes you should be allowed to set up on the sidewalk.  I would also check with:   http://www.ij.org/   I have been told they have helped other vendors.
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:07:23 AM »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand welcome to the club.

First of all, the usual empathy. Man oh man oh man do these people suck or what? Keeping us little folk down when all we want to do is an eency-peency bit of fair trade?

There is one thing I got behind in the past, a business owner on a really sweet spot wanted to put their own cart up on their business location which they bought wtih cash money and they called me and said "they won't let me do it".

It took about 15 seconds to get them the name of a lawyer to file suit against the town for loss of business privileges. And they folded.

Absent that, a business owner who is willing to go to bat, you must re-imagine your business and come up with another angle but first?

Your ritual beating. You started a business in a town and you didn't do your research and determine these challenges up front?

Silly you.  Now you have an investment in a cart and it's not paying for itself and that means you are paying for it. And that's the exact opposite of the way it's supposed to work.

And now what fills your Levis is on the line.

Punch it through. Pull a rabbit out of a hat. You learned a lesson and it won't be your last and just don't give up. And rock Craigslist and the smaller the town you are in the more good a website will do you if you do it right. Ask me how to do that right. Ask Dugger anything. I'm actually scared of him but he has that warrior protective thing going like if I give you bad advice he will track me down and display my head on a pike.

It's a good thing. Just roll with it. If I give you bad advice Dugger might just track me down and kill me. That kinda forms a check-and-balance system you can rely on.

I gave you two potential solutions. For free. Cause we care. And I'll follow through and tell you about websites. For free.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
Have you called about the neighboring towns?

Since the town your trying to vend in doesn't want you then go to the next town.

Your mobile so you can move as much as you want/need to.
Welcome to Dash's Delicious Dogs

SupremeDogg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
Well I've owned the cart for around 6 years now, and of those 6 I worked it for first two years. So I've made my original investment a few times over. That's not the issue. I didn't have to deal with this before as the city/state where I was prior did not have such restrictions of city property, as long as you weren't blocking traffic you were fine. I've moved to a new town and decided I'd dust off the 'ol cart and get back in the game, and although I was aware that we could only vend from private property, I didn't anticipate the resistance from these property owners and businesses. The city isn't giving me a hell of crap themselves, they just want an approved location, and I haven't delivered.

Yea I'm stuck, but I'm not giving up. I'll keep trying to brainstorm through and see if I can pull a rabbit out of a hat.
Did you say post on craiglist? Can I take gigs without city permit?

SupremeDogg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »

Since the town your trying to vend in doesn't want you then go to the next town.

I checked out one of the neighboring towns and they said they don't allow Hot Dog carts AT ALL! Their story is that there was a vendor who "always left a mess and blocked traffic" so they stopped allowing it. ??? If you wanted to do food vending you are required to move every 15 minutes, meaning show up with your food, distribute it, and keep it moving.

As for my town I think I just may need to offer a nice sum of $$$ to these properties in attempt to sway things a little...

D Dub

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:09:04 PM »
First off, hey guys and gals.
Second they should 're name anything labeled "public" ! Cause it really ain't "public" if I can't sell my wares there. WE are the "public" last time I looked.
I'm going through the same things, but I'm city hopping trying to find ones that would enjoy the extra money.
Look into business parks, industrial parks etc. Bring an owner/manager some tastey treats and bogo coupons and lay on the honey!
Good luck . If I come by any other helping info I'd be sure to post.
OZ, you are a conundrum !
Be well , thank a vet and rock it.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:51 AM »

I checked out one of the neighboring towns and they said they don't allow Hot Dog carts AT ALL! Their story is that there was a vendor who "always left a mess and blocked traffic" so they stopped allowing it. ??? If you wanted to do food vending you are required to move every 15 minutes, meaning show up with your food, distribute it, and keep it moving.

As for my town I think I just may need to offer a nice sum of $$$ to these properties in attempt to sway things a little...

Where I live now out in the burbs (close to two years now) we aren't allowed to vend on the street but the neighboring city said I could. I just have to pay for a 30 day permit and after 120 days I have to move to a new location.

The good news is that there is only one other person vending in that big city. I found all this out last month after calling City Hall.

SupremeDogg

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:39:34 AM »
Just checking in to give an update: Still haven't achieved a location.  :( Still getting NO's and no reponses from property owners/businesses in my town  :-\ . I have scouted a couple other cities/towns within my county that do allow carts and am on my way to seek locations in these towns. These towns, however, do appear to have a more strict process as you are required to register with local police department and submit fingerprinting to state police for background/criminal history check. ??? More fees. And there applications are more elaborate and extensive. Well, I'm heading out to secure a location. Wish me success! I will check back in soon.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:49:13 PM »
Keep us posted please; I still find it hard to understand why you can not get a location in your town, I know it is small but every town has a auto parts store, a church, a bank, a side walk, think outside the box...Loop holes work great; do a free feeding of city employees, feed the cops, city hall, county officers; think about setting up at a bakery if you have one; pawn shop; furniture store; laundry mat.  You can go to benscarts.com and we did a show or too on finding locations, I think we listed a few hundred...Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

DaddyDog

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 10:08:33 AM »
Good luck with the new towns. I know it will work out for you.

Mr.Rock'N'Roll

• Top SVF Contributor
  • Rocking and rolling from Southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 02:10:46 PM »
I don't know if you've tried it already, but what about joining the local chamber of commerce? That might help you network your way to location in front of someone's business
Work hard, show up on time, and out work the competition.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 05:20:49 AM »
I don't belong to the Chamber or BBB but in saying that, you have to determine what is best for you, the only advertising that i do for the most part is word of mouth, yes I have business cards, a flutter flag, loyality cards.  www.foodtruckins.com has also done great for me.  I guess the word free is the best thing that you can look for but if not free low cost, more bang for the buck..

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »
A guy once told me to find a franchise food place that was kinda isolated and set up right across from them. Enough people are tired of them to try you. Maybe you can find that profile.

Another buddy of mine told me to start a flea market in order to create a location. I had to admit, neat idea but the flea market thing is a world of hassles I can't personally imagine at this time.

Some of the HOA neighbordoods around here have community garage sale days. Get in with them, the organized ones have maps showing all the good locations. You want to be on that map.

I been doing some experimenting with the local high school sports events. If I didn't have other stuff going it would be a slow way to go broke just now but I see the potential in this one school where there's literally no other food, beverage or entertainment options for like 20 miles.

I met a woman and she was totally hooked into horse shows and she just raked it in. She spoke of $1500-3000 cash sale days.

The festival circuit is a whole other ballgame. It's big risk, high stakes, high payoff territory. My forrays into that realm taught me to take whatever the event promoter says is their low end estimate and divide that by two unless you actually know this festival in a major people magnet. And then, even with a good location, all it takes is rain, baby.

All it takes to ruin a parade for us is rain. Or cold. Or zombie invasions. Theoretically. I'll leave it to dugger to come up with a plan for how we sell hot dogs in the event of zombie invasion. Though it occurs to me that we're an easy litmus test for who is or isn't a zombie because normal people will just eat the hot dogs and be like "thanks man".

OzDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 03:40:45 AM »
Struggling to think of more rabbits you can pull out of hats.

Find more hats?

Churches have events, sales and fundraisers. Ah yes, the old fund-raiser deal. Any charity, the local animal rescue (woof!), they get a %. But always remember, NEGOTIATE, it's a % of your NET not your GROSS. Frankly, these days I only do revenue splits above a certain amount. Below that amount, I keep everything.

Right about now all the schools are doing their dances and proms and stuff. Mostly the kids and the PTA's or PTOs organize that stuff so you might want to be finding out who they are pretty fast.

Scan the local papers for business grand openings. Tell them you can provide X hot dogs for $Y price to attract customers and keep them around. Oh yeah, this works with car dealerships and auto auctions: they want to keep people around and give the kids something to eat while they sell them cars.

Let's see here....

Anyplace people have a half hour for lunch and they spend half of that getting there and back? That's us bra.