Author Topic: what is a good brand hot dog, chili to sell  (Read 7385 times)

RuDawgs

• View Profile
what is a good brand hot dog, chili to sell
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
I am opening up soon hope to be up and running by next month.  I have my cart which i am upgrading and currently working on getting everything else in order.  My question is what brand hot dogs, chili do you recomend for first timer trying to keep menu simple and expand from there.  I am concidering Vienna but closest vender (sysco) is in another city and they only deliver to a commercial address.  I want a quality product and would like to offer 2 or 3 options possibly a bratwurst or sausage of some type.   Also is there anywhere to buy in bulk besides Sams.

duggsdoggs

• Good!! Good!!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Duggs-Doggs-194570393930642/?fref=ts
Re: what is a good brand hot dog, chili to sell
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:52 AM »
Depending on your location..  Sell what you like.  I use sams all beef and carry a 1/4 Sausage dog and a 1/4 big Dog.  Every area is different.  I don't carry chilli but you can get chilli at sams also.  Good!! Good!!
The information contained is provided in good faith, and every reasonable effort is made to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Accordingly, this information is provided 'as is' without warranty of any kind.

hotdogsforacause

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
Sam's dogs are good but for a little more you can get Oscar Mayer and they are great!  On the other hand, I tried Sam's chili and it was nasty.   looked for a good pre-made chili and found none that I wanted to serve so I make my own.  Google chili recipes and you are sure to find one you like.  Costs about the same as frozen nasty chili you can order.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
" I plan on living forever- or at least die trying!"
  Groucho Marx

WLD

• Everyday above the turf is a good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
You can go to your local meat market & see if they can order your dogs for you. Up here in MA, I sell Kayem dogs as that's what people here look for. I cant get the dogs I want directly, but I go to my local meat market who sell other types of Kayem products & they happily order the dogs I want.

As far a chili, I go to the local restaurant supply store and they carry Chefmate Hot Dog Chili. My customers really enjoy it. I used to be able to get through Webstaraunt, but they stopped carrying it.

painless

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
Sam's dogs are good but for a little more you can get Oscar Mayer and they are great!  On the other hand, I tried Sam's chili and it was nasty.   looked for a good pre-made chili and found none that I wanted to serve so I make my own.  Google chili recipes and you are sure to find one you like.  Costs about the same as frozen nasty chili you can order.  Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

Good points there.  I wan to add that with a national brand, most of your important advertising has been done for you.
People know what they are getting when the brand is Oscar Meyer, etc.  (I started with Ball Park).

Another advantage is that you can use the grocery store as your food storage facility.   Buy what you think you can sell, and if you run low, send someone to the grocery store to re-up.

MarksHotDogs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
If you are going to use canned chili, used Wolf Brand with no beans.  It gives your dogs a unique taste.  It's what I use and people seem to love it.

Doodah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:05 AM »
RuDawgs , my sysco does will call so I will be just going to pick up. If the other town isnt to far might call the see if your sysco does.

jameses

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 03:20:50 AM »
I don't like most frozen chili from commercial sources, I use to work at a 7 11 years ago and it sucks
Until you find out how many people really want chili dogs, Just use a couple of cans of Homel no
bean chili. I seasoned well and your customers will let you know if you need to spice it up more.
Wal Mart and other stores carry it and it is available at Wal Mart in institutional size.

Jim (work N dawg)

kmurray96

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 09:14:33 AM »
I buy direct at the Bright Leaf (Carolina Packing) plant in Smithfield, NC. The stuff looks horrible when you open up the container, but heats up into a chili of beauty. I like it so much, some nights I take the leftovers home, heat up some kidney beans, chopped bell pepper and some rice and have a terrific chili dinner. I've smeared just the chili on a roll during clean-up, too, for my lunch.

It's not a hot chili, but that why I keep tabasco on the cart, too, for those masochistic customers.

kmurray96

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:21:58 AM »
I also buy not only the Bright Leaf dogs and red hot sausages, I also buy their brown smoked sausage. Neither sausage hold up well in a holding tank, but I have a Ben's Big Dog cart, so I have room to steam the sausages separately and they hold up quite well. I put the bouillon cube in the steaming pan, too, BTW.

Being from the north, originally, I'm really not a big fan of the red hots...but those smoked sausages? Slamming!!! I'll eat them cold out of the bag. Love the skin on them, too.

kmurray96

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:48:14 AM »
As for brand? Because I buy from a distributor, so we can get and  sell original casing Sabrett's. The one that snaps when you bite it. Got a couple of customers that walk by other carts to get the snap. We also do Bright Leaf (red) dogs along with their red hots and brown smoked sausage.

Downtown Raleigh is very price competitive. People would love it when you tell them you have Nathan's. But, Nathan's can't compete price wise @ $1. For that extra $.50 customers will walk right by. So I went with the competition.

Also, personally not seeing it in print, I've heard Nathan's is no longer owned by Nathan's and in fact it's new parent company is rumored to be...Chinese.

Dawg Werkz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:22 AM »
Nathan's is a publicly traded company on NASDAQ (NATH). The chief officers' names didn't look Chinese...?
I too am looking into what dog to carry when I open soon. 

HotZiggityDog!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
I live near Detroit, which is one of the biggest states in the midwest known for  "Coney" dogs. Research "National Coney island" which is one of the biggest coney island chains in Michigan. Then, find a Gorden's Food Store in your area, and have them order "National Chili Sauce"  for you. I buy all my chili from GFS. Usually, if you give them an order by 2pm they'll have it the next day.

cactusjack 24

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:58:59 AM »
Hey guys, I sell the sams baker and chefs beef dog and for the 1/4# I use the hebrew national, I've had people that don't eat dogs luv the Hebrew, as for chili the sams here in tulsa uses a local brand that is very tasty. Good luck to you on your business
A goal without a plan is just a wish

UnkleWheez

• Top SVF Contributor
  • Feeding and serving the community.
    • View Profile
    • Roane's Dogs
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 04:14:48 AM »
I use Dietz and Watson natural casings 8-1. I doctor up ca stleberry chili.
Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter!
www.facebook.com/RoanesDogs www.twitter.com/RoanesDogs