Author Topic: Boiled Peanuts in NC...  (Read 7360 times)

jgdean

• View Profile
Boiled Peanuts in NC...
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
My wife and I started a fresh squeezed lemonade and gourmet boiled peanut stand for the local farmer's market here.
The lemonade did very well, but I was surprised at how many people here in NC snubbed their snotty noses at
these delicious gourmet boiled peanuts.

As the weather cooled off, sales went up, though.

We'll be back when the weather warms up.
We specialize in fresh squeezed lemonade and gourmet boiled peanuts at our local farmer's market.

burddog

• View Profile
Re: Boiled Peanuts in NC...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:32 AM »
Can you share how you cook the peanuts.

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:51:33 PM »
Can you share how you cook the peanuts.

+1

I'm thinking about adding hot / warm items for the winter and I'd like to know as well.

Thanks,

~ Red
"Some Will, Some Won't, So What, Next!!!"

Ben

• Hot Dog Mafia
  • Top SVF Contributor
  • Hot Dogs Saved My Life
    • View Profile
    • Hot Dog Answer Man
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:29 AM »
God I love boiled peanuts, the hotter the better too.  Love me some cajun green boiled peanuts.  They are mushy and full of flavor.  Here is a link I found on Coca Cola's website on how to make them. 

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/food/how-to-boil-peanuts

What is a green peanut? 
http://www.boiled-peanut-world.com/green-peanuts.html
Check out free training videos and articles at www.LearnHotDogs.com

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:18:27 PM »
Thanks Ben! (I love'em too ~ and I think it'll be a great item to introduce for the winter ~ and get people hooked on 'em.)

~ Red

Pepper

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:42:59 PM »
HotDogRed,

Did you start selling boiled peanuts yet? How are your sales?
There is a gas station in town that has a two crocks full every day - one is regular and the other is Cajun - it has become my favorite place to fill up my car! I start thinking about those boiled peanuts when my tank gets half empty!
Hope that you are having a great winter season and having success.

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »
HotDogRed,

Did you start selling boiled peanuts yet? How are your sales?
There is a gas station in town that has a two crocks full every day - one is regular and the other is Cajun - it has become my favorite place to fill up my car! I start thinking about those boiled peanuts when my tank gets half empty!
Hope that you are having a great winter season and having success.

We nixed the peanuts for now and decided on Pecans as our 'warm / winter' item and it's going great so far. We're doing a few different versions of 'spiced nuts' such as a sweet / savory one and a spicy one, we also have an award winning secret family recipe for pralines which we're thinking of preparing batches at our commissary and adding them to our offerings as well.

(Keeping my fingers crossed!)

~ Red

Pepper

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:53:44 PM »
Red,
Your Gourmet Pecans sound wonderful! I have a friend who makes them in the oven with butter and spices - man, the whole house smells amazing when they are cooking! I bet folks get hooked on those! Are you cooking them on your cart? What kind of portions do you serve? Pecans are expensive, but I see how that would be a very good seasonal item to carry. I wish you success!

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
They're prepared on the cart using a set-up similar to Nutty Bavarian vendors.

Portions are aprx 3oz. As for the smell, pretty much anyone and everyone within 20 yards of the cart while the pecans are being prepared is an automatic sale, add coffee / hot chocolate and it makes for a very nice profit all around. We'll up-sell pralines and / or take home portions with every sale and we're not afraid to give free samples out to close 'em if the smell alone can't reel 'em in. (And we're sure to shamelessly tell'em during the holidays how they 'Make a great gift too!')

It's doing well enough that I'm seriously considering separating out the nut business altogether.

~ Red

Pepper

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 05:34:10 PM »
Red,

Glad you're doing well with the Gourmet nuts. Are you using an electric roaster like the Nutty Bavarian, or a wok? The smell of spicy roasted pecans AND coffee - that would get me every time! Are you still slingin'? I'm working on my cart right now - "pimpin' out my ride." Working on plumbing and adding a few accessories. I'm not hardy enough for cold weather that's coming my way anyway. Thanks for your posts, I enjoy learning about what others are doing. Sell 'em all!

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 06:09:02 PM »
It's a gas fired nut roaster. http://www.nutroastingmachine.com/new_machines.htm#table_gas
Propane for cooking and I use a deep cycle battery set-up w/ a 110 inverter for the agitator.

And, yep I'm still slingin. (Always.)

Also, I appreciate your posts, questions and comments as well. (IMHO) Our greatest strength is in what we can learn from each other's triumphs, trials, and mistakes.

~ Red

Pepper

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:03:50 AM »
Red,

Thanks so much for the link... I had no idea that company was out there, and it looks like quality machines. I got a new recipe also!How long have you had your roaster and are you happy with performance?
Hope you have a great day and thanks again for the info.

HotDogRed

• Top SVF Contributor
  • LEGALIZE STREET FOOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »
So good so far, and I'd say that Mandelprofi is to nut roasters that Mercedes is to cars. I've owned / worked this unit hard for about 2 months now and it's been great. (My family has been roasting nuts / making pralines and baked goods for awhile and they've had a Mandelprofi floor model for several years with zero issues, (and they told me about the tabletop one), so I think in a way I may be getting back to my roots!)

~ Red

Pepper

• Top SVF Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:19 AM »
So good so far, and I'd say that Mandelprofi is to nut roasters that Mercedes is to cars. I've owned / worked this unit hard for about 2 months now and it's been great. (My family has been roasting nuts / making pralines and baked goods for awhile and they've had a Mandelprofi floor model for several years with zero issues, (and they told me about the tabletop one), so I think in a way I may be getting back to my roots!)

~ Red
Thanks for the information, Red!
Sometimes it's good to get back to our roots! I've got nuts in my family too - but that's a different story! I guess I've discovered that winter is a good time to "go Nuts" in our line of work. Sounds like you hit on something that you are enjoying, and that is what vending is all about. Stay well and warm out here my friend.
Thank you also to jgdean for starting this thread.

adneybradyxz

• View Profile
informaction
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 07:53:22 AM »
hi

i dont'know about this